Raven White offers one of her projects on Monday in the Art Building. She did this piece as an assignment for her ceramics class but said she probably won’t continue with ceramics, because her main focus is on photography and drawing.

Artist's Avenue: Raven White

Raven White is a studio art major with a focus in photography and drawing. She also renamed herself — not legally — Raven because it is gender neutral. So, when people view her art, they won’t have any prejudice against her for being a woman.

Daily Lobo: So what were you working on down in the ceramics studio?
Raven White: I made a piece that’s based on an 8,000-year-old piece that they found in Malta.

DL: How did you find that piece, and what prompted you to recreate it?
RW: I took a class at CNM that dealt with female artists and art, and I came across the piece that’s called the “Dreamer of Malta.” So when I got into this intro to ceramics class there was a project I could fit that into.

DL: There is lots of detail in the piece, and it seems like you worked hard on it. How long did it take you?
RW: It took about 36 hours. It’s called a modeling process, which means you make a piece and then you have to hollow it out so it doesn’t explode in the kiln. So you have to get it to a certain point of dryness so you can hollow it out. And then you still don’t know if it’s going to explode. There were a lot of pieces that were attached to her to give it her round shape. I like her cheekbones. And I added those for detail and her nose for detail and the snake that wraps around her head and goes down her back.

DL: Tell me about the pieces you’ve created that you don’t like.
RW: Usually those are the required things because they involve no creativity. It’s just what the teacher wants.

DL: What’s your strategy to help you get past that?
RW: I just try and put as much creativity within the boundaries that they give you into it, so that you can keep your interests in it.

DL: Is that your final project for the class?
RW: No, we had our final project done two weeks ago.

DL: What did you do?
RW: I did tile pieces that will eventually go into a mural tile of pieces that will probably go in a wall piece.

DL: Like something at your house?
RW: Yeah. They’re of different things. One has a woman that’s emerging from the clay. And then there is a lot of things that allude to the vulva. Everyone says I’m a Judy Chicago incarnate, even though that’s not my intent, and it just happens to be a form that comes naturally to me to make. But, oh well. Deal with it.