Local novel a must-read: Preview

UNM is turning the page and opening up Bless Me, Ultima to campus newcomers.

The Lobo Reading Experience is back for the second time, featuring Rudolfo Anaya’s book, Bless Me, Ultima.

Wynn Goering, vice provost of Academic Affairs, leads the reading program.

Goering said Anaya’s book will be highlighted at a national conference in April 2011. The UNM Fine Arts and Arts and Sciences Colleges will put on the conference in conjunction with the National Hispanic Cultural Center, Goering said.

“The book is written by a UNM professor, and is one of the most highly regarded works of its kind,” he said.

Besides the featured conference, Goering said the book is accessible to and engaging for people of different backgrounds.

“It is a book that every New Mexican should read,” Goering said. “It will give students a better sense of New Mexico’s distinctive cultural and literary traditions. The book follows the tradition of what it means to be a New Mexican.”

In the past, the Lobo Reading Experience featured, Antonio’s Gun and Delfino’s Dream: True Tales of Mexican Migration. This year will be different than last year because the book is required reading in certain American studies, anthropology, linguistics and some fine arts courses’ curriculums.

In addition to having the novel in the curriculum, there will be many events planned year round in tribute to Anaya’s book.
Goering said there will be a stage production of Bless Me, Ultima at the National Hispanic Cultural Center in November, an evening with the author and other promotional events.

“We will also have a photographic exhibit based on the book that features (UNM professor) Miguel Gandert’s photographs and text by Professor Enrique Lamadrid,” Goering said.

Lamadrid, a professor at UNM, said he knows Anaya personally.

“It has been most rewarding to see students actually meet the author,” Lamadrid said. “Students usually read the book and you can only just use your imagination. The great thing about the Lobo Reading Experience is that they actually bring in the authors. Students can ask questions and get to know them on a different level.”

The book is rooted in New Mexico folklore and history, Lamadrid said. The book is available in the UNM Bookstore for $5.95.
“I remember when the book was first presented by Anaya in 1970,” Lamadrid said. “It’s amazing that so many years later students can share the same experience.”

Goering’s main goal is to make students better readers and to allow for more engagement with the campus. Many students will be reading the novel at the same time.

“This gives students a sense of academic community on campus. The program is something that gives a commonality across campus,” Goering said.