UNM men's team shares skills drills with high school kids

Gather ’round the camp fire, high school young’ns.

The UNM men’s basketball team hosted a high school camp for teams from New Mexico and Western Texas and one team from Wasilla, Alaska.

The four-day team camp took place June 17-20 and was intended to develop up-and-coming high school basketball stars.

Wasilla, Alaska dominated pool play, where it won all four games against top New Mexico teams like La Cueva and Roswell Goddard. Each team played a minimum of five games. Eldorado High School (Albuquerque) defeated El Dorado High School (El Paso, Texas) in the varsity division’s championship game.

UNM head men’s basketball coach Steve Alford said there was a high level of competition on display during this camp.

“Anytime we can get 40-plus teams into our team camp, we feel like that’s a successful team camp,” Alford said. “My dad was a high school coach, so I think it’s a pretty neat deal when you’re a high school kid to come into a collegiate atmosphere and utilize our facilities.”

Wasilla head basketball coach Ryan Engebretsen said UNM was a gracious host during the team’s 10-day stay, and his players took much from the camp.

Engebretsen, whose team travels around the country in search of stout competition, said he expects his team to play for the 4A Alaska state championship year in and year out.

“My big kid, Connor Devine, has been terrific. He has come a long way and will be entering his junior year in the fall,” Engebretsen said. “He grew up quite a bit last year on this kind of trip. On this trip he has shown his leadership capabilities and abilities to the point where this team can jump on his back if they need to.”

Likewise, Laguna Sports Academy varsity coach Jalen Dominguez said the camp fosters team unity and sharpens individual skills. The Laguna Sports Academy made it to the second round of tournament play, but a bigger, stronger and faster El Dorado team quickly dispatched them. Still, Dominguez said the camp wasn’t just about winning.

“I believe the summer is for more for personal development. Wins are great, but that’s not our measuring stick,” Dominguez said. “My goal is to get the players better for the school year. I think we are the only team in camp with players from all three levels playing in the varsity division.”

Dominguez said this is the highest level of competition in the state of New Mexico.

“You get the varsity teams from class 5A all the way down to 2A squads,” Dominguez said. “This is a great test for our senior players to see what the varsity level is all about. It’s also a wake-up call for the guys moving up to the varsity level next year.”