ASUNM: Don't demolish

ASUNM passed a resolution against the demolition of the Santa Ana dorms Wednesday night.

The possible demolition would displace 177 residents over winter break, who would then be placed in other dormitories.
Sen. Miguel Pena said tearing down the dormitory would breach the University’s contract with Santa Ana residents.

“They started a contract with this University,” he said. “The University should hold its end of the bargain.”

The resolution, however, did not oppose the eventual demolition of the building, but the demolition while students live there. It passed 13-4.
If the building were demolished, American Campus Communities would begin a projected 16-month construction of a new dorm. ACC, the company developing Lobo Village on south campus, would also manage the new residence halls.

Sen. Greg Golden said he supports the demolition.
“In the grand scheme of things, UNM needs new residence halls,” he said. “For that reason, I’m not in support of the resolution.”
Sen. Alonzo Castillo said students would have to endure displacement for new residence halls.

“Its unfortunate that students might change their housing,” Castillo said. “I don’t think it’s that detrimental to the students that are going to have to move out.”

Santa Ana resident Cindy Hollon said that dorm demolition would be unfortunate for students. She said student relocation to rooms that are already occupied will not be constructive.

“People in Santa Ana are really concerned,” she said. “We’re not being taken care of if this is being built in the middle of December … Doing that to us in the middle of the school year is going to mess us up.”

Sen. Daniel Parker said sudden displacement will lead to student uneasiness. “Are we going to allow this University and this administration to behave this way?” he said. “I hope not.”

ASUNM Also Passed:
A resolution urging SUB vendors not to use Styrofoam.
A resolution urging students against buying bottled water.