Jesus Ramirez, left, and Andres Lopez load old TVs and stereos to be recycled in A lot on Saturday. The student group Net Impact is collecting electronic waste for recycling.

E-waste removed the responsible way

UNM gave community members a chance to recycle electronic waste for free this weekend at the Annual E-waste Recycling event.
UNM Resource Conservation Manager Linda McCormick said electronics become obsolete quickly, and getting rid of e-waste responsibly is essential.

“We are here to help with UNM’s sustainability efforts, so e-waste can be responsibly disposed,” she said. ”People will recycle and do the right thing if you make it easy for them and convenient, and since this is free with very few exceptions, it’s easy. We bring the recycling to them.”

E-waste is the fastest-growing type of waste in municipal areas, and it grows about 3 to 5 percent every year, according to the Enchantment Electronic Recycling website. Americans are estimated to throw away 133,000 computers every day, the site said, and one cell phone can contaminate 40,000 gallons of drinking water.

Student volunteer Nick Plazola said the event encourages youth to get involved and brings awareness to recycling electronics.
“This is a perfect event,” he said. “You just come. We do all the lifting for you, and you are gone. It’s as simple as that. We need young people to take the initiative to do these things and give back to their community.”

Event volunteers accepted TVs, computer monitors, laptops and printers among other electronics. They sent them sent to places like Albuquerque Recycling Inc., where they were broken down to their commodity levels and recycled.

Janet Estepp, president of Albuquerque Recycling Inc., said city businesses need to get involved with the recycling program.
“We are trying to keep e-waste out of landfills,” she said. “We are encouraging businesses to do work-place recycling events, when employees come in with their e-waste we will be there to pick it up.”

*Albuquerque Recycling Inc.
990-3732
Enchantment Electronic Recycling
232-9483 *