GPSA supports extended Lottery

House Bill 62, which would extend the time period students can apply for the Lottery Scholarship, was a hot topic of conversation at Wednesday’s GPSA Executive Board meeting.

The bill, introduced by Rep. Bill O’Neill, would allow students to defer the Lottery Scholarship for one year. Right now, students must attend college immediately after high school graduation in order to qualify for the scholarship.

President Lissa Knudsen said GPSA actively supports the bill.
“It’s a great amendment,” she said. “I think students support it, and (O’Neill) is looking for us to provide him with a lot of support. I strongly hope that we can be organized enough to get people to send e-mails, to go up and talk to legislators.”

Knudsen said GPSA members would testify at committees in support of the bill. Though the scholarship does not directly support graduate students, she said the bill would affect teachers and graduate assistants.

“We have found, at least personally, that in the classroom, students who don’t have to worry about funding and who are better prepared to learn are easier to teach,” she said. “And it creates a better classroom environment.”

O’Neill said his bill faces obstacles, mainly a tight state budget, and it needs student support to pass.

“In no way do I want to jeopardize the long-term sustainability of this wonderful Lottery Scholarship program that we have in this state, but it merits discussion,” he said. “It’s really hard to take time off to come all the way up to Santa Fe … but even a handful of students who are committed to seeing this pass would be great.”