8415_leadcoalf.jpg

Caution tape marks off an exposed pipe at the corner of Bryn Mawr Drive and Coal Avenue. As part of the Lead and Coal Improvement Project, Yale Boulevard will be closed beginning Monday, Feb. 21 for an estimated 30-60 days for construction. The construction will reroute UNM’s south lot shuttle.

Area construction results in shuttle detour

The City of Albuquerque announced construction plans that will force UNM’s south lot shuttle to use an alternate route.

Beginning Feb. 21, all traffic on Yale Boulevard between Avenida Cesar Chavez and Lead Avenue will shut down as crews begin ripping up concrete in order to install a drainage system under the road.

UNM Parking & Transportation Services operates up to 10 shuttle buses that relay between main campus and south lot, so the department doesn’t expect many delays, spokesman Brian Kilburn said. He said his department is working with the city to avoid major traffic problems.

“We have our finger on the pulse of the situation,” he said. “We will address any delays as they arise.”

All northbound traffic on Yale Boulevard, including UNM’s south lot shuttle, will be detoured westbound on Avenida Cesar Chavez. Southbound traffic on Yale Boulevard will be detoured to Lead Avenue. City officials said they expect the project to last about 30-60 days.

Area residents and business owners do not share the city’s optimism.

Business owner Connie Nellos, of Quarters BBQ and Package Liquors, said the planned closure will hurt business.
Resident Karl Swinehart said he is frustrated by the construction.

“Simple tasks such as returning home from work or buying groceries becomes a major project,” he said.
Swinehart said he has mixed feelings when it comes to the city’s communication practices.

“When I called to complain, I didn’t even get a chance to leave a voice message before the project manager, Patti Watson, returned my call,” he said. “But as far as me receiving prior notice for closures, communication has been very poor.”

The construction is part of the Lead and Coal Improvement Project, which according the city website is an 18-month, $26 million project to beautify landscapes and make streets more neighborhood, bicycle and pedestrian friendly. The project stretches from I-25 on the west to Washington Street on the east.
Coal Avenue is closed to thru traffic because of construction. Two-way traffic is permitted on Lead Avenue from east of I-25 to Washington. 

Once construction of Coal Avenue is completed, which officials predict will be in summer 2011, crews will open the street to two-way traffic and close Lead Avenue to thru traffic. Officials predict Lead Avenue construction will be completed by spring 2012.
After construction, both Lead and Coal avenues will once again be one-way streets, according to city officials.