ASUNM votes for free condoms

ASUNM voted to install free condom distribution points around the campus in an effort to promote safe sex.

Sen. Greg Golden said the resolution reminded him of his freshman year at UNM.

“They used to have more access to condoms,” he said. “I remember when I was a freshman they were, well, everywhere.”

ASUNM Sen. Jaimee Perea, a community health major, introduced the resolution to have condom distribution points at the Student Health Center, at registers in the SUB and in the SRC commons.

Perea said the distribution goal is to help curb the prevalence of STDs.

“It’s not saying we’re condoning promiscuity on campus,” Perea said. “It’s just saying we want people to be safe with their choices.”
The resolution passed through the senate with little debate.
ASUNM also passed a bill that would move the polling district at the south campus Student Support and Service Center to Mesa Vista Hall in an effort to attract more voters in campus elections.

Sen. Cassandra Thompson said she did not support moving the voting station. She said student athletes are better served at south campus, though about only 40 votes were cast at that station in the last ASUNM election.

“They don’t really get involved at main campus,” Thompson said. “They come here for classes, but they spend the majority of their time on south campus.”

Sen. Meena Lee said athletes interested in voting would vote anyway and argued that more students pass through Mesa Vista Hall.
“If you think about it, Mesa Vista Hall is home to One-Stop,” Lee said. “Students are there getting advised — they’re there already. Why don’t they just stop and vote?”