Different arena, but same results

Just when you think the UNM men’s basketball team is left for the dead, it comes howling back.

UNM shocked the basketball nation Wednesday with a 82-64 upset over No. 3 BYU in Provo, Utah.

Guard Phillip McDonald had his biggest game of the season, leading the Lobos with 26 points. Four UNM starters scored more than 10 points.
Center Drew Gordon had another double-double with 15 points 16 rebounds, and he exploited the Cougars’ defense, which was without Brandon Davies who was dismissed from the team for violating the school’s honor code.
UNM out-rebounded BYU 25-14 in the first half en route to an early 42-26 lead. The Lobos shot 50 percent in the first half and 9-of-20 from beyond the 3-point line.

The win snapped BYU’s 12-game home winning streak and was UNM’s fourth win in a row against the Cougars, whose only Mountain West Conference losses this season have come against the Lobos. 

BYU’s Jimmer Fredette scored 33 points, but was just 1-of-9 from 3-point range.

The Cougars came into the game hot off a win at then-No. 7 San Diego State and was one win away from winning the MWC regular-season championship. The Cougars were stifled by UNM’s defense. The Lobos forced bad outside shots, and BYU was 5-of-29 from beyond the arc.

For its defensive efforts, UNM was rewarded with open-scoring opportunities and quick transition buckets.

UNM hit its first four shots and six of its first seven to take early leads of 10-2 and 27-12. In the second half, BYU came as close as 11 points with 15 minutes left in the game, but UNM went on an 11-0 run to pull away.

Ryan Tomari contributed to this report