For Your Ears

March 1
Busdriver
The Spot (504 Yale Blvd. S.E.)
All Ages
$10
Indie-rap touchstone Busdriver recently told the Alibi that his fans are “antisocial kids who have little or no sex drive.” If this describes you (be honest), you can catch him at local house-party venue The Spot tonight at 8 p.m.
Busdriver’s famous for his weirdo raps laid down over weirdo beats, as well as a weirdo appearance on TV show Blind Date, where he pissed off his date to no end by refusing to drink. He also wore a Busdriver T-shirt. What a weirdo. Also, he’s playing with a lot of other groups with weirdo names like Sapience Christ. Go check out the show, you weirdos.

March 2
The Octopus Project
Launchpad
21 and up
$10
If you don’t get all hot and bothered thinking about how awesome Octopus Project’s
collaboration with Black Moth Super Rainbow was, you’re not a true hipster.
For all you non-hipsters who never heard of either of those bands, they specialize in semi-electronic psychedelic rock. Octopus Project is purported to be a hell of a live show, so you really can’t go wrong for $10. Although you may have to spend a bit more to stock up on the requisite dose of hallucinogens. Not that the Daily Lobo would ever condone such a thing.

March 3
Igor & the Red Elvises
Launchpad
21 and up
$10

World-famous surf/rockabilly band out of L.A. They’ve gained considerable popularity in Albuquerque because of being in town frequently — or maybe it’s because of the band’s Soviet-Russia imagery. We’ve long suspected this town to be full of pinko commies.

march 14
Mike Watt & the Missingmen
Launchpad
21 and up
$10
Launchpad continues its domination of good music in Burque by bringing the one and only Mike Watt to our fair city.
His band name, the Missingmen, is a play on the Minutemen, his influential California punk band that brought sub-two-minute blasts of bass-heavy chaos to the public attention. Their 1984 album Double Nickles on the Dime is an absolute classic of the genre, and if you never heard it, you ought to be ashamed of yourself.
The band’s song “Corona” from that album is the theme song to “Jackass,” but we won’t hold that against them. Again, this promises to be $10 well spent.

March 15
Assorted Acts
Low Spirits
21 and up
$5
Tonight’s lineup at Low Spirits includes something called the East Cackalacky Ascetic
Marching Death Band. It’s not every day you get to see a marching death band made up of ascetics from East Cackalacky, which may be an opportunity you don’t want to miss. We’re not really sure. But it’s only half the price of a Mike Watt ticket, so if you’re too cheap to see the Missingmen, this could be the show for you.

march 20
Battle of the Bands
Launchpad
All Ages
$8-$10
Your monthly metal fix, courtesy of your friendly neighborhood Launchpad.
Lots of New Mexican death, grindcore and assorted other metal genres can be had for only $8-$10. We’re not really sure what the variable price depends on. Maybe it’s how metal the doorman judges you to look.
Either way, you best be metal if you plan to have your face melted at the battle.