8489_baseballf.jpg

Lobo Ben Woodchick slides into second as the Roadrunner’s Matthew James tries to tag him out Sunday at Isoptopes Park. UNM took the best-out-of-four series 3-1 over University of Texas-San Antonio, including an 8-3 win Sunday.

Losing streak struck out

It didn’t take until the 11th hour for the UNM baseball team to get its first win of the season.

The Lobos, finding momentum after an eight-game losing streak, took three games from the University of Texas-San Antonio in a four-game series over the weekend at Isotopes Park.
Pitcher Bobby Mares threw seven scoreless innings to help the Lobos defeat the Roadrunners 8-3 Sunday.

Head coach Ray Birmingham said he has been impressed with the way Mares performed in three season starts.

“He is a fierce competitor, and as you see him walk off the mound between innings, he’s locked in,” Birmingham said. “He’s locked in and ready to compete. He’s not afraid, and that’s a sophomore out there.”

In Game 1, designated hitter John Michael Twichell hit UNM’s first home run of the season. His three-run home run finished a five-run first inning that propelled the Lobos to a 13-6 victory. On Saturday, UNM split a double header with UTSA. The Lobos squeaked out a 6-5 win, but UTSA took game two by a final of 3-1.

Pitcher Steven Florez replaced Mares in the eighth inning Sunday, and started by walking leadoff hitter Tommy Vukovich.
That led the way for a Roadrunner rally.

They strung together singles and cut UNM’s lead to 8-2. With the bases loaded, UNM brought in Richard Olson.

But Lobo Kyle Stiner, who played his first game at shortstop Sunday, nabbed a hard-to-handle groundball and finished with a forceout at second base, which effectively stopped the Roadrunners’ comeback.

Not only was Stiner solid on the defensive end, he contributed two RBIs; one on a triple in the fifth inning gave the Lobos an insurance run.

Stiner said he doesn’t mind being a utility player at UNM.
“All fall and all spring we’ve kind of mixed people up position wise,” Stiner said. “I’ve been at short. I’ve been at second. I’ve been at third, so it’s nothing really new.”

Birmingham said the team is finally in an offensive groove.
“It’s going to take maturity, and it’s not going to get any easier,” he said. “We’ve got to rise to that level, and we’re playing better baseball. It’s all about guts and preparation and having no fear.”