soccerwomen.jpg

UNM’s Jennifer Williams traps the ball as the Sooners’ Brianna Turang looks on Friday at University Stadium. The Lobos beat Oklahoma 2-1 thanks to a late goal from Williams.

Belated goal ends fight for win

The UNM women’s soccer team scored late, but still beat the Sooners on Friday.

The game looked to be headed to overtime after Oklahoma’s Dria Hampton tied the game with 10 minutes left, but Lobo forward Jennifer Williams scored her second goal of the game with five minutes remaining to beat the Sooners 2-1.

“We fought the whole entire game,” Williams said. “We knew we weren’t going to walk away with a tie or a loss. We knew we were going to win.”

Just 12 minutes into the game, the Lobos had the lead after Williams got the ball from Natalie Jenks, beat a defender and finished past the goalie.

The Lobos had chances to add to their lead during the first half, but could not find a way to score.

Head coach Kit Vela said it was hard to see her team not up by more goals, but she said she was happy with the result.

“We had some opportunities in the first half where we could have easily been up two or three but we weren’t,” she said. “It was a little frustrating, but we found a way to come back.”

The Lobos came out and dominated the second half, out-shooting the Sooners 8-2, and forced Oklahoma’s Kelsey Devonshire into three saves, while Lobo goalie Kelli Cornell wasn’t tested. Against the run of play, Hampton picked up the ball at the top of the box and let out a tame shot with 10 minutes left.

It looked to be an easy save for Cornell, but the ball deflected off of a Lobo defender and landed in the back of the net to tie the game at one.

The Lobos immediately pushed forward for the win, and got it with five minutes left.

Sophomore Brooke Ellison played a ball over the top to Williams, who calmly finished past the onrushing Sooners’ goalie.

“When she (Ellison) played that ball through, it was the perfect ball,” Williams said. “The keeper came out a little bit early and it was easy to put away.”

Williams said Oklahoma was a tough team, but that the challenge will help the team when conference play begins this weekend.

“They were a very physical team,” Williams said. “Once you touched the ball they were right on you. Actually, it’s going to help us for conference because you know the pressure is a little different in conference, and we need to play quick.”

The Lobos have gone to overtime four times this season but have a 0-2-2 record in those games.

Vela said she was happy that her team scored in regulation to save them from playing another overtime game.

“It’s nice to save your legs when you don’t have to play overtime,” she said. “It’s just good to score that second goal, in overtime or in regulation.”

The win takes the Lobos to 5-4-2 for the season, while Oklahoma fell to 4-5.