wbball.jpg

Junior guard Caroline Drubin lays up the ball in a game against New Mexico Highlands last Saturday at the Pit. The Lobos open their season on the road at Texas Tech this weekend.

Rematch starts new season

The women’s basketball team is young and nervous, but head coach Yvonne Sanchez said the Lobos are eager for a rematch against Red Raider Nation.

The Lobos lost their opener last year to Texas Tech at home 80-53.
Head coach Yvonne Sanchez said it’s her job to be prepared regardless of the team’s nerves.

“It’s a very good opponent, and you want to be perfect, but you know these kids are still learning,” she said. “It’s that time of the year, and it’s game time coming up. We have to be ready.”

Sanchez will be coaching her first game as head coach for the Lobos since she took over after former coach Don Flanagan retired last April. Sanchez has been an assistant coach at UNM since 2000.

This season UNM won their preseason game against New Mexico Highlands 65-45.

She said she is nervous before the start of every game and coaching her first game at UNM will be no different.

“I used to have jitters before every game anyway, whether I was a player or a coach, so that will come with every game,” Sanchez said. “Once the game starts you are in your element and you have to go by instinct.”

Sanchez pointed out that Texas Tech’s main source of offensive production will be their 6-feet-3-inch centers.

Junior guard Jourdan Erskine said the team needs to work together to stop the other team’s centers from getting the ball.

“We definitely have to stop them,” she said. “They are big, so my fellow post players and I need to make sure we are talking and letting everyone know what’s going on.”

Erskine said the team is ready to go out and win this season’s opener on the Red Raiders’ court.

“It’s a challenge; we are going to see where we are at,” she said. “We are up for it and we are ready to bring that win back and beat them down there.”

The Lobos are without junior guard Sara Halasz who will miss the entire season because of an ACL tear last month. Halasz was an All-MWC first team preseason selection.

Sanchez said injuries were a major issue this year with the entire team so she cut back on the physical practices.

“I try to preserve them as much as possible, but now it’s game time,” she said. “It is a concern, and it’s going to be a concern all year to see how healthy we are.”

Halasz’s injury means junior guard Jayme Jackson takes over the responsibility of bringing the ball up the court.

Jackson said she knows Texas Tech plans to put a lot of pressure on her because she’s never brought the ball up court before.

“Personally for me it’s going to be no turnovers,” Jackson said.
“If I can handle the pressure I can make it easier for my team. … Bringing up the ball is something new for me, but I think I can handle it.”

Up Next
Women’s Basketbal
vs. Texas Tech
Tonight, 5 p.m.
Lubbock, Texas