duckpond.jpg
Duck Pond Construction

Bothersome pond work will save water

Students who enjoy the pleasant atmosphere of the west side of the duck pond have been unable to visit its banks since mid-November due to construction on the area’s irrigation and lighting.

The area will re-open to students next month following completion of the $325,000 project.

Willy West, manager of grounds and landscaping for the Physical Plant Department (PPD), said the project will improve the efficiency of watering nearby plants and grass.

He said the duck pond’s original irrigation system, which was added in the ‘70s, is only operating at 30–40 percent efficiency.

He said the new systems will work at 60–75 percent efficiency, decreasing UNM’s water usage, and improving the area around the pond itself by providing better irrigation.

“The old irrigation system was just not able to meet the needs to keep it looking the way it should,” he said.

State money funded the project, according to West.

“This project has taken a lot of effort and a lot hard work,” West said. “Our water savings are going to be huge, though.”

West said there are other places on campus where the old irrigation systems need to be upgraded, such as along University Boulevard and around Hodgin Hall. PPD is currently seeking funds for those projects. He also said the University is also upgrading the duck pond’s lighting in response to campus safety walks, during which students questioned the adequacy of the lighting. PPD decided to begin both projects at the same time to keep the construction time short.

“Obviously, the safety of students is paramount,” he said. “We tried to coordinate the work on the irrigation with the lighting to keep the impact on students at a minimum.”

UNM student Andrew Moore said he isn’t bothered by the construction, except when trying to ride his longboard on the sidewalks.

“It’s frustrating trying to ride over the places where there’s asphalt instead of concrete,” Moore said.

West said that he hasn’t received any complaints from students concerning construction. He said contractors ensure students always have a route around construction.

“We really appreciate students’ patience because this is a significant project. It’s in the middle of campus,” he said.