yoga1.jpg

Soothe self with massage

Editor’s Note: We’re close to a quarter way through the semester, but the light at the end of the tunnel still seems an eternity away.

The Daily Lobo, rather than providing a mere moment of relief, asked Georgia Maya Kremidas, UNM and Sani Yoga instructor, for some self-massage techniques. That way, you’ve got what you need for a lifetime of relief.

You should do these while sitting, as straight and tall as possible, in a chair. This means relaxation is just a few stretches away, even if you’re stuck in class or the library.

Neck and Shoulders

Interlace your fingers and use them to cup the back of your head. Draw your arms up and push your chin to your chest using gentle pressure and the weight of your arms. Let your head hang for as long as you want.

From there, you can sit back up with your hands still in place on the back of your head. Once you’re sitting straight and tall again, release one hand and use it to draw your head to one side. Return your head to a center position, then use your other hand to draw your head to the other side, maintaining the stretch for the same amount of time for both sides.

Drop your head to one side and cup the base of your skull. With the cupping hand, gently press down and pull it from your neck, down your shoulder and to your elbow. Repeat on the other side for the same amount of time as the first.

Wrists and Hands

Turn your left palm up like you’re signaling for someone to “stop” and pull back the fingers with your right hand, stretching through the wrist. You can deepen the stretch by pulling them back on the top of your thigh.

To massage your hands, bring your thumb to the divot of the fleshy part of your other thumb and draw it down the thumb to the tip. Repeat with each finger, pulling your grasp from the base of the finger all the way to the tip. Do this for each hand; you can even use this for your feet.

Lower Back and Hips

Start by crossing one of your ankles over the other knee.
Lean forwards as far down as you feel comfortable. Repeat with the other ankle crossed. If this is too much of a stretch, you can simply lean over your legs with your belly touching your thighs. Shake your head “no” or nod it “yes.”

If you have the luxury of getting out of a chair to do some techniques, the simplest thing you can do to relax the lower half of your body is lay on the floor with your legs on a couch or other raised surface. This position, Kremidas said, is great for varicose veins, leg injuries and passively relaxing. Additionally, it is completely safe for anyone, regardless of any pre-existing conditions.