Impact wants to initiate, integrate and inspire undergaduate students

ASUNM presidental candidates speak

My name is Ashkii Hatathlie and I am a presidential candidate for ASUNM, and I am proud to be running with the slate Impact for UNM Student Government.

Spring elections are today, and I would encourage all undergraduate students to take the initiative and begin to play a proactive part in student government here at UNM. Join me in voting to make our campus the best it can be. For students who have not already cast their vote, hesitation or a feeling of indifference is often accompanied by choosing not to vote.

Within this opinion section it is my hope that I will have worked to change the mindset in which you will be empowered to be a student government ally by not only participating in this election, but also beginning the first step in providing and improving your overall student experience.

The candidates that compose our slate, Impact, will serve as advocates for the common interest of students, foster student life, encourage community involvement, enhance and preserve academic excellence and integrity, and act as a liaison between the student body, the University and external communities.

Combined, we will work to broaden and strengthen the scope of student life and student engagement here at UNM. With your support, the opportunities to improve UNM are endless.

Imagine: a student government that engages the new UNM president so students become his first priority; a student government that supports our athletes and develops fun and new incentives for attendance at games; a student government that will fundraise money for scholarships for textbooks; that’s what Impact and I, as ASUNM president, can do for you.

It is the role of student government to serve as the student body’s voice throughout the University. If elected, we will work to put you, the student, first by establishing a student government that can provide you with unparalleled representation that is both innovative and transparent.

As a slate, we thank you for your interest and active role in this year’s elections process. It is your duty as a student to participate in your school’s elections by being aware of what each candidate has to offer, and by voting for the best student representatives. In our multiple years of experience with student government, we have gained invaluable knowledge about the University of New Mexico. Utilizing our knowledge and experience, we have set specific goals that will target what we feel students will benefit from the most.

Our goals for next year can be summarized in three simple pillars: initiate, integrate, and inspire all undergraduate students. These powerful words are what created this campaign in order to put students first with every decision your student government should make. Our priority is you.

Never forget, one small idea can make an impact and lead to a ripple of change.