garver.jpg

Junior catcher Mitchell Garver runs to first base after a hit against Air Force on May 19 at Isotopes park. Garver was awarded MWC Co-Player of the Year for the 2012 season.

Players, coach earn MWC honors

The baseball team outdid the rest of the Mountain West this season in this weekend’s tournament and in annual Mountain West awards.

Junior catcher Mitchell Garver and sophomore third baseman DJ Peterson were both awarded MWC Co-Player of the Year. Head coach Ray Birmingham won MWC Coach of the Year.

Garver, an Albuquerque native, said the award means a lot to him because he put in a lot of hard work this season.

“It’s very important to me because this is what I work for,” he said. “I strive to help my team, but I’m also striving to help better myself as a baseball player. Winning an award like that, especially when you share it with someone like DJ Peterson, is quite an honor.”

Garver said that unlike other Southwest states, New Mexico isn’t a hotbed for baseball.

“As a New Mexico baseball player, you don’t have all the benefits that other schools in the Southwest have,” he said. “To get an award like this is encouraging to the younger kids.”

Birmingham said Garver is just one of many talented players to come from New Mexico.

“I know New Mexico kids can play baseball,” Birmingham said. “He’s an example of what’s in this state.”

Peterson adds this award to a cache of accolades earned throughout the season. He was named to the USA Baseball 2012 Collegiate National Team, the first Lobo to ever receive the honor, and is a semifinalist for the Dick Howser Trophy, which is given annually to the best college baseball player in the country.

Despite the recognition, Peterson said he is focused on winning games and playing in the College World Series in Omaha, Neb.
“Awards are awards, but we still have to look forward to a regional and hopefully Omaha,” Peterson said. “I would much rather go to Omaha than win co-player of the year.”

Garver said sharing the award with a teammate adds to the excitement.

“We both felt that if just only one of us got the award, it wouldn’t be as rewarding,” Garver said.

Garver said Birmingham is well-deserving of the coach of the year award.

“He’s brought players together from all parts of the country and made us into a team, and it shows when we play.”

Peterson said Birmingham is more than just a coach to him.

“He’s someone 20 years down the road that will not be my coach anymore, but will be my good friend,” Peterson said. “He’s a great coach and a great friend. He’s just a good guy all around.”
Birmingham said his players made the award possible.

“The kids did it for me,” he said. “They had to give the trophy to somebody so they gave it to me.”