lobonmfire.jpg

Eleven-year-old Xan Wylde, volunteer for the American Red Cross, and incoming freshman quarterback Cole Gautsche collect donations for
New Mexico Fire Relief. The UNM football team partnered with the American Red Cross for the two day event benefiting those affected by recent wildfires in New Mexico.

Lobos raise funds for fire victims

In one of New Mexico’s worst fire seasons, the UNM football team is making an effort to help residents who have been affected by wildfires.

On July 6 and 7, the football team, the Albuquerque Isotopes and the American Red Cross in New Mexico joined to create New Mexico Fire Relief, a drive to collect donations for fire victims.
All of the proceeds from the drive go to the American Red Cross, which provides disaster relief.

“If (victims) have to evacuate and need somewhere to go, we set up shelters and provide food,” said Nicole Stansifer, a UNM graduate student who works as a preparedness coordinator for the American Red Cross in New Mexico.

From noon to 4 p.m. on Friday, the Red Cross had a drive-through collection set up at The Pit. The Red Cross estimated that it made about $1,200 from that event.

Before the Isotopes games on July 6 and 7, members of the UNM football team and Isotopes players stood outside the gates of Isotopes Park to collect donations from fans entering the stadium.

Football players said it is their responsibility to participate in charitable events because many younger athletes look up to them.

“It’s an honor to be able to help other people like this,” said sophomore Bryan Oldenkamp, who transferred from Chaffey College in Rancho Cucamonga, Calif. “People like us, Division I athletes, need to be an example to younger guys. We made some pretty good strides for some pretty needy people. When we got the opportunity to come out here and make some money, I got right on it.”

For the past two years, the football team held its preseason training camp in Ruidoso. In June, the Little Bear Fire burned 224 homes in the Ruidoso area. Some of the players said they are participating in the drive to show support for the town that is welcoming them again for a training camp in August.

“They really support us when we go up there, so it should go both ways,” Oldenkamp said. “We should support them.”

Senior quarterback B.R. Holbrook said it is the responsibility of the football team to show support for the people of Ruidoso and of New Mexico, because residents show support as fans on game days.

“The people down there have really embraced us, so we want to do something to help them out,” Holbrook said. “I think it’s the responsibility of the football team because we’re tied to this community and the state of New Mexico, so it’s important for us to extend a hand and help any way we can.”

Stansifer said having the football team on board with the drive is helping bring in more money.

“They’re like our local celebrities,” Stansifer said. “Having them support us makes other people want to support us.”

To find more information about the American Red Cross in New Mexico, or to make donations for fire relief, visit RedCrossNewMexico.org.