Athletics receives $1.5M gift

Lobo Athletics may have received the necessary funds to crawl out of debt.

UNM alumni Turner and Margaret Branch contributed $1.5 million to Athletics for the naming rights of the new synthetic field, which will be called “Branch Field” for the next 15 years. The Athletics program racked up $1.25 million in debt, which can be attributed to poor attendance at football home games, UNM Athletics Director Paul Krebs said on March 23.

Problems with former head coach Mike Locksley, who was let go last September, and a poor record have plagued the team since 2009.
The donation is the second largest ever by living individuals to UNM Athletics, behind the $2.5 million donated by Sonnet and Ian McKinnon in 2011.

Board of Regents President Jack Fortner said the gift is much needed.

“We need private funding,” Fortner said. “We have to have private funding; that is the future of higher education at the University of New Mexico.”

Fortner said this token of appreciation demonstrates that new head coach Bob Davie has already gelled with the Lobo community.

“I also like to say that this gift really shows the positive direction that coach Davie is taking,” he said. “Coach Davie has said a number of things; one of those things is that we need to be with the Lobos now and in the future.”

Krebs said most, if not all, of the money will go toward UNM football.

“We certainly have a lot of need, but we envision this money going to support our student athletes and specifically support for our Lobo football,” Krebs said. “We have some ideas in mind, but right now we are really looking for the funds to enhance and support our football program.”

Krebs said the donation can be seen as a vote of confidence for Davie.

“I think the gift comes at an incredibly important time for our football program,” Krebs said. “For me personally, the most meaningful part of this gift, besides the incredible philanthropy, is it comes at a time where people might doubt our program with a new leader.”

The two attorneys, Margaret and Turner, were heavily involved with UNM when they attended the University. Turner graduated in 1960, served as student body president, was a member of Phi Sigma Alpha, the political science Honors Society, Chakaa and was president of social fraternity Pi Kappa Alpha, which he still supports to this day.

His wife Margaret graduated from UNM with honors in 1975, was also student body president, was a member of Chi Omega sorority and participated on the UNM golf team.

The two both own and run the Branch Law Firm.

Turner said he had to first convince Margaret in order to give such a generous gift to Lobo Athletics.

“I told Margaret, ‘academics are important but aren’t the only thing.’ We had that discussion and after a lot of persuasion she said she would hear my argument,” Turner said. “My argument was simple: academics in an intercollegiate university such as the University of New Mexico is certainly so interwoven with athletics that they are both important: they are inseparable.”

Turner has high hopes for UNM and said he thinks the Lobos will be competitive for years to come.

“I don’t think Boise State’s example can’t be matched time and again,” he said. “I think we can match it or beat it without question.”