soccerprint.jpg

Redshirt sophomore Carson Baldinger hustles for the ball versus a University of Alabama-Birmingham player last Friday. The Lobos take on Dartmouth University today, then battle UC Irvine on Sunday.

Tonight: red vs. Big Green

The men’s soccer team, in pursuit of its 14th straight home win, faces Dartmouth University today.

The TLC Plumbing, Cooling, and Heating Lobo Invitational kicks off with Missouri State taking on UC Irvine, followed by the Lobo-Big Green matchup at the UNM Soccer Complex tonight.

UNM (3-1-0) enters the game ranked No. 7 in the NSCAA poll following a 2-0 victory over No. 25 ranked University Alabama of Birmingham. Dartmouth (2-2-0) comes to Albuquerque after losing 2-1 to Southern Methodist University, which New Mexico defeated 3-1 earlier this season.

Head coach Jeremy Fishbein said the Big Green makes up for its lack of talent with its intellect.

“They’re not going to be as athletic or dynamic as us, but they’re going to very organized; they’re extremely well-coached and they are tough,” Fishbein said. “We have to be patient and take advantage of the opportunities. Whether the goals come in the first 10 minutes or the last, we have to be confident that they’re going to come.”

In 2012, UNM has scored 2.25 goals per game while allowing 1.25 goals per game.

Senior forward Blake Smith has scored 6 points, including 2 goals, in only three games this season. Although New Mexico typically scores most of its goals in the second half, Smith said patience is the key.

“We never force it,” he said. “We’re taught to be patient and wait for our opportunities, and sometimes we don’t get chances early on because teams like to come out of the gate hard against a ranked opponent like us. We’re always thought of as a second-half team, but we like to wait for teams to make mistakes so we can attack.”

After Victor Rodriguez served a two-game NCAA suspension, James Rogers served a three-game NCAA suspension and Blake Smith had to sit out last game due to a red card, the Lobos will put forward a full roster for the first time this regular season.

Smith earned a red card for arguing with a referee against SMU on Sept. 2 and, per NCAA rules, was suspended for the following game against UAB on Sept. 7. Rodriguez and Rogers were suspended for misconduct after last year’s NCAA tournament game versus the University of South Florida.

“It will be our first game where we’ll be at full strength,” said Fishbein. “It’s a great thing, but it brings about other challenges like picking our lineup, because we have a lot of pieces and a lot of firepower. It’s a good problem to have as a coach, but I think as the season progresses, it’s going to be more about men management and keeping guys happy.”

Although offensive scoring and goalkeeping have been highlighted this season, the midfield is the unsung catalyst of UNM.
“Our midfield has been good — I think our guys (Adrian) Mora Delgado, (Ben) McKendry, (Travis) Campbell, (Nick) Miele and (Matthew) Gibbons have been great,” Fishbein said. “It’s easy to focus on the guys who score goals, but the leadership they provide is important and crucial.”

The midfield will have the task of trying to shut down Dartmouth, which averages 1.5 goals per game. Leading the way for the Big Green is sophomore forward Alex Adelabu, who has a team-high 5 points, with 2 goals.

The UNM Soccer Complex has treated the Lobos well during the last two years, with the last loss dating back to Oct. 10, 2010 against Air Force 1-0.

“We’ve got the best fans in the county; I hope the weather is better and we put a great show out there for them,” Fishbein said. “They energize us.”

Men’s Soccer vs. Dartmouth
Friday
7 p.m.

vs. UC Irvine
Sunday
1 p.m.
UNM Soccer Complex