UNM vital to Albuquerque culture

culture@dailylobo.com

As you walk, bike, or drive through Albuquerque, I encourage you to pay attention. UNM is everywhere; our University’s scope extends to the borders of the Albuquerque metropolitan area and beyond, and you will find the cultural influence of our students, staff, and faculty in nearly every nook where you think to look. That influence is as organic as a thumbprint when examined closely, and you each hold a magnifying glass.

See, that’s what I think the Culture section is about: people. Not the art, but the artist who draws inspiration from the Sandias and the Rio Grande; not the theater, but the thespian who speaks with an accent refined by years of dialog with fellow burqueños; not the music, but the musicians who play their songs through the medium of the high desert air. We are all purveyors of UNM culture, and we are our own patrons.

As I begin my yearlong stint as the Culture Editor here at the Daily Lobo, I approach the desk with the attitude that stories exist everywhere that people do. More often than not, people are the stories. There are more narratives at UNM than any writer could ever hope to cover, but I’m not going to resign those stories to obscurity for lack of trying. And as you weave the tales that will become our shared experience, the Lobo will be there to write the story.

Don’t worry; you can still count on theater reviews, concert previews, event coverage, and all the other culture mainstays you’ve grown to enjoy. But let me take this chance to affirm my commitment to the community that’s bred my taste in the humanities: I love UNM and its culture. And over the next year, I hope to share that love with you, dear reader.