7/8_comics3

The Amazing Spider-Man action figure strikes a pose in front of a framed poster of various comics featuring him at Age of Comics. The shop contains the collections of Matt and Greg Trujillo which they have compiled for over 30 years.

Store for comic lovers opens

culture@dailylobo.com

Heroes like Batman and Wolverine have found a new home in Albuquerque, thanks to brothers Matt and Greg Trujillo.

On June 14 the brothers opened a new comic book store, Age of Comics, on Osuna Road near San Mateo Boulevard. They opened the store out of a mutual love of comics and as a showcase for the brothers’ too-big-to-house comic collection.

“We started running out of room at our places,” Matt said. “We decided it was time to start turning around and letting other people enjoy that same collection.”

Age of Comics’ interior is designed to feel like a 1970s comic book, with paintings of classic heroes and a large mural depicting iconic superheroes and supervillains painted on the window.
The brothers said Age of Comics plans to set itself apart from other stores by focusing on selling older collectable items, such as pint glasses, hard-to-find or rare comic books and hand-drawn animation from the ‘70s.

The store will also present both new and old comic-inspired entertainment, such as the 1970s Batman television series and the more-recent X-Men First Class.

The brothers said they also plan to offer hand-designed shoes, such as R2-D2 heels or Wolverine tennis shoes.

Greg said he has collected comics for more than 30 years. He said he got started when he was a student at Comanche Elementary School, where he received his first comic: an issue of Miss Marvel.

“One of the teachers would actually hand out comics to students who got good grades,” he said.

Greg didn’t stop there. He decided to share his love of comics with his younger brother, giving Matt his first comics, including an issue of Uncanny X-Men.

“(Greg) gave me a couple comics back in ’91 and that just set me on a path,” Matt said.

Though there are several comic book stores in Albuquerque already, local comic enthusiast Greg Brittelle said a new store will have a positive impact in Albuquerque.

“Every (comic store patron) has their own specific (store) that they go to, so having a new one will allow newcomers or people in the neighborhood to have one where they can go,” Brittelle said.

The Trujillos are taking things as they come. They said this is new experience for them, so they plan to learn as they go and hope to see the store grow.

“We just want to hang out, sell comics and talk to people about different things,” Greg said. “We’re definitely happy we got this far.”

Age of Comics
is located at
5505 Osuna Road N.E. in Suite G.
11 a.m.-7 p.m.
Tuesdays through Saturdays
Noon-5:00 Sundays
Closed Mondays