Hillerman’s daughter takes reins

culture@dailylobo.com
@Jyllian_R

When Tony Hillerman died in 2008, fans of the acclaimed mystery author thought they would have to say goodbye to Navajo Nation Police detectives Joe Leaphorn and Jim Chee as well.

However, Anne Hillerman has picked up the pen and continued where her father left off in her first fiction novel “Spider Woman’s Daughter.”

As a Midwestern transplant, I had not heard of the late Tony Hillerman until a few weeks ago, and have not read any of his 18 mystery novels. Luckily, this means I am coming in fresh, so this review will not include a comparison of Anne and Tony Hillerman’s writing styles.

This novel is striking in its description of detail. Having never been to the Navajo Nation, I could still clearly imagine the small shops, offices and landscape.

The younger Hillerman chose her words well and brings the reader to the location by engaging all of the senses. When the novel’s main character, Officer Bernadette Manualito enters a restaurant for lunch, the smells from the kitchen are described as a rainbow of spices. In another scene, the Sandias are likened to a rugged blue monolith.

This descriptive narrative is “Spider Woman’s” greatest power.
Another compelling facet of the novel is Manualito. The character is human in ways not often found in modern fiction.

Rather than focus entirely on her work with the police force, readers go with her to visit her mom and sister, who have a whole host of everyday life troubles. She also struggles to balance her work and home life, makes mistakes and deals with grief and stress in ways that people with flesh and blood do.

The mystery in this mystery novel begins right away, when a member of the Navajo Nation Police family is shot in broad daylight.

Manualito is the only witness to the attack and is, of course, immediately put on leave by her boss, while her husband Chee is assigned as the lead detective. Not that she follows the order.

Instead, she takes a side job that puts her close to the case.

Sadly, the mystery is not hard to solve for attentive readers. I knew who the shooter was, and what the motive was, the moment that character was introduced. There were many hints and a lot of pointed dialogue.

Knowing the big reveal before it happens was only a downer because the book is marketed as mystery, though. As a work of general fiction, “Spider Woman’s Daughter” is a delight to read.

“Spider Woman’s Daughter” hits the shelves today as a hardcover and e-book. As a special bonus, fans will have three opportunities this week to meet Hillerman.

Meet Anne Hillerman

Tuesday – Book reading and signing at the KiMo Theatre, 423 Central Ave. N.W. 7 p.m. to 9:30 p.m. Tickets are $7 at the door.

Wednesday – Presentation on “Spider Woman’s Daughter” and Tony Hillerman’s legacy. 6 p.m. to 8 p.m. at the Inn and Spa at Loretto in Santa Fe, 211 Old Santa Fe Trail. This is a free event.

Friday – Book signing and photo exhibit from “Tony Hillerman’s Landscape.” 5 p.m. to 7 p.m. in the UNM Law School Gallery. This is a free event.