Sports Briefs

Men’s Soccer

UNM dropped its Conference USA opener 2-0 at Charlotte on Friday.

The 49ers scored the first goal of the game in the 86th minute. They followed that up with the clinching goal just 65 seconds later for the 2-0 win.

It was the first time the Lobos allowed a goal on the road in 445:25 of game time; the last time UNM conceded a goal on the road was in a 1-0 overtime loss at South Carolina on Oct. 26.

“It was a good experience to come out here and play a tough, physical team,” head coach Jeremy Fishbein said in a release.

Brandt Bronico and Harrison Steadman were the two players who scored for Charlotte.

The Lobos are now 5-2-1 (0-1-0 C-USA) on the season.

Volleyball

The New Mexico volleyball team swept its first two Mountain West opponents, Nevada and San Jose State, this past week.

UNM earned three straight sets (25-22, 25-18 and 25-22) over Nevada on Saturday. Senior right side hitter Chantale Riddle logged her fifth double-double of the season with 15 kills and 12 digs.

“Winning on the road in conference is always good,” head coach Jeff Nelson said in a release. “We led most of the time and in game three we got behind but we picked it up. I’m really happy that we won two on the road.”

Sophomore Cassie House had seven kills in the match.

On Thursday, the Lobos (7-5, 2-0 MW) netted their first Mountain West victory of the season with a 3-0 sweep of SJSU. The set scores were 25-15, 25-19 and 25-12.