New Mexico linebacker Daquan Baker glances at the scoreboard towards the end of the New Mexico vs. Arizona State game on Sept. 6. The Lobos lost to the No. 17 Sun Devils 58-23.

Talent on the field not enough to stop ASU

Missed assignments and tackles will always happen in football.

However, under head coach Bob Davie, New Mexico has failed game after game to execute its defensive tasks and the key fundamentals that have led to big plays for opposing offenses.

That was the case for UNM’s defense once again in a lopsided 58-23 loss to No. 17 Arizona State at University Stadium Saturday night.

Davie said the Sun Devils’ up-tempo offense had nothing to do with UNM’s mishaps on defense.

“It’s not about talent, because we have some talent on our team,” he said. “We’re just not capable right now of executing at a high enough level for a consistent amount of time. It’s that simple. It’s our job as coaches to get them to execute better.”

One example of the Lobos’ miscues came on ASU’s first offensive snap, when quarterback Taylor Kelly broke a tackle and ended up with a 52-yard run right up the gut of UNM’s defense.

Safety David Guthrie said the reason for the missed tackles is the Lobos’ poor technique.

“Maturity. I think that’s one thing. We’re young,” Guthrie said. “We’ve been playing since we’ve been toddlers, so missing tackles is crazy. We think too much and we’re not just playing football.”

UNM helped spot ASU a 22-0 lead in the first quarter because of two fumbles early in the game. Quarterbacks Clayton Mitchem and Lamar Jordan were responsible for those turnovers. Jordan replaced Mitchem after Mitchem fumbled on the Lobos’ second possession.

Jordan, a redshirt freshman, played well for his first in-game action. He ran the triple option offense effectively and gave UNM a passing threat — something that the Lobos have been sorely lacking during Davie’s tenure.

Davie said Jordan is now the second-string quarterback behind incumbent Cole Gautsche, who missed Saturday’s game due to a right hamstring injury. On the night, Jordan completed 7 of 11 attempts for 130 yards with one score. He also gained 32 rushing yards on 12 carries, but fumbled two times, losing both of them.

“I saw a little playmaker ability, point guard kind of mentality. He makes things happen and he’s a confident football player,” Davie said. “I think he has the chance to be a good football player for us. I saw a bright future for us, honestly. I like how he plays.”

UNM was able to get back in the game by outscoring the Sun Devils 21-10 the rest of the half, trailing 32-21 at the break. Running back Jhurell Pressley, Jordan and running back Crusoe Gongbay scored UNM’s only three touchdowns.

“I felt like at halftime we could win the game. I’m being dead honest,” Davie said. “I thought we could win the football game, but we came out in the second half and we couldn’t execute.”

In the third quarter, Kelly threw for two touchdown passes to give ASU a commanding 45-21 lead heading into the final stanza. Wide receivers Jaelen Strong (24-yard catch) and Cameron Smith (41-yard grab) were the recipients.

Sun Devil tailback D.J. Foster put the game out of reach for the Lobos with a 1-yard plunge in the middle of the fourth quarter. Foster gashed UNM for 217 yards on 19 carries.

The Lobos’ inability to perform showed up again on the Sun Devils’ final score. Running back Demario Richard broke several tackles on his 49-yard scamper to the end zone. However, UNM blocked the point after attempt, its second of the game, and safety Brandon Branch returned it for two points for the final score of 58-23.

“I think about tonight and we didn’t get overwhelmed talent-wise. It’s not that,” Davie said. “The past is behind us. We have enough players, we have enough talent and we have got to coach them better. They’ve got to mature and they’ve got to grow up. I think we can really become a good football team.”

For the first time since last October, UNM forced a turnover. The Lobos recovered a fumble by Kelly in the second quarter.

ASU gained 621 total yards of offense; Kelly completed 11 of 20 passes for 192 yards and two scores. He also ran 10 times for 84 yards.

The Lobos had 337 total yards on offense and halfback Teriyon Gipson led UNM in rushing with 73 yards on 15 attempts. Pressley earned 53 yards on 12 runs.

Thomas Romero-Salas is the sports editor for the Daily Lobo. He can be reached at sports@dailylobo.com or on Twitter @ThomasRomeroS.