Sports briefs for Feb. 16, 2014

Baseball

UNM rallied back from a 2-0 deficit against Oregon State for a 7-4 victory in the Surprise Tournament on Sunday.

The Lobos (2-1) scored their seven runs across the fifth, sixth and seventh innings. Freshman Carl Stajduhar hit a two-run home run in the sixth to gain a 3-2 lead. Stajduhar went 2-5 on the night.

Freshman pitcher Luis Gonzalez tossed 4.1 innings of no-hit relief for the win. Junior starter Drew Bridges threw just three innings and allowed two runs.

Earlier in the tournament UNM defeated Northwestern 5-3 on Saturday. Junior pitcher Toller Boardman earned the victory for the Lobos after throwing seven innings.

UNM’s only loss thus far has been 9-3 to Michigan State on Friday.

Softball

New Mexico went 1-4 over the weekend at the Wilson DeMarini Desert Classic, including an 8-2 loss to Seattle U on Sunday.

The Lobos’ only win of the tournament was a 9-8 victory over Indiana on Saturday. UNM had to overcome a 7-0 deficit against the Hoosiers.

On Friday UNM fell to No. 12 UCLA 16-0 in five innings. Later that day the Lobos went down to Cal State Northridge 3-2.

Utah Valley also earned a win over UNM, beating the Lobos 9-3.

In all four of the Lobos’ (4-6) losses they scored three runs or fewer.

Women’s tennis

UNM suffered its second loss of the season 5-2 against Colorado on Sunday.

The Lobos fell to 8-2 on the season.

The Buffaloes’ Julyette Steur and Tina Bokhua defeated UNM’s Dominique Dulski and Natasha Smith 6-2 in the No. 1 position. CU’s Alexandra Aiello and Ashley Tiefel took down Meredith Hopson and Emily Olivier in the No. 2 position.

“We really struggled with our doubles today, and Colorado made us pay,” head coach Erica Jasper said in a release. “We are going to need to use this next week to work on a few key things, so we can keep moving forward.”

In singles competition, UNM’s Rachana Bhat beat Kyra Wojcik 7-6 (2), 6-4 in the No. 5 spot. Sharon Coone was the only other Lobo to earn a win in singles, a 7-6 (4), 6-2 victory over Vitaliya Alkhovik.