UNM distance runner Nicola Hood competes at the Don Kirby Invitational on Saturday afternoon at Convention Center. The New Mexico mens and womens track and field teams broke or tied six school records.

Track and field: Lobos make strong showing ahead of MW

Junior sprinter Ridge Jones broke the school records in both the 60- and 200-meter sprints. He clocked in at an altitude-adjusted 21.43 in the 200, breaking Larry Davis’ 14-year-old record of 21.44, to take seventh in the field.

Jones also created a new 60-meter record with a time of 6.65, which earned him second place in the race. The junior had tied former Lobo and current USC Trojan Beejay Lee earlier this year with a time of 6.69.

“We can go on and on about the individuals’ performances,” New Mexico head coach Joe Franklin said. “It was an unbelievable competition that’s going to prepare us well for the conference championships.”

Redshirt senior Django Lovett was the other male athlete to make history. The senior cleared 7 feet, 3 inches to win the high jump, tying Ivan Hella’s mark that was set in 1992.

As for the women, redshirt senior Sammy Silva ran a 4:39.57 mile (4:33.48 altitude-adjusted) to win the event and break Josephine Moultrie’s old record.

Junior Zoe Howell now holds the top 600-meter time in school history, clocking in at 1:32.90 to break junior Sophie Connor’s mark of 1:33.06.

Senior Aasha Marler broke her own mark in the long jump by a centimeter. Marler jumped 20-5 ¼ to edge her old mark of 20-5, placing fourth overall in the long jump.

Junior Elmar Engholm added one more win for the men with a victory in the mile (4:03.25).

In the 3,000-meter race, senior Patrick Zacharias (8:28.25) and redshirt freshman Zac Castillo (8:29.86) placed first and second, respectively.

The triple jump was another event that the Lobos found success in. For the women, sophomore Jannell Hadnot took third with a leap of 42 ¾. As for the men, senior Warrick Campbell finished fourth with a mark of 51-5.

UNM will have next week off in preparation for the Mountain West Championships, which will be held at the Albuquerque Convention Center on Feb. 26-28.

Lobos in Seattle

Junior Calli Thackery placed sixth overall in the 3,000-meter race (9:07.31) to highlight UNM’s trip to the Husky Classic in Seattle.

The time puts Thackery in the top 10 of Division I rankings. Only the top 16 individual athletes (and the top 12 relay teams) qualify for the NCAA Championships.

Senior Adam Bitchell raced for a ninth-place finish in the men’s 5,000 meters, coming in at 13:50.05.

The Daily Lobo sports desk can be reached at sports@dailylobo.com or on Twitter @DailyLoboSports.