Spring football: Davie unveils new strategies for defensive troubles

After allowing the most yards in the Mountain West last season, the Lobos needed a change and they are hoping that a nickel base defense and new defensive backs coach Al Simmons will clear up some of UNM’s issues.

“To get someone who’s been in this conference for three years, been a defensive coordinator and all of that. So the resume is really impressive,” head coach Bob Davie said of Simmons. “What more impressive is his demeanor. He’s not going to flinch.

Simmons has joined New Mexico’s coaching staff after bidding farewell to Colorado State (10-3), the second best team in the conference last year. The new defensive backs coach said joining the Lobos and helping work towards a new defensive scheme has been a comfortable change.

“There’s some great coaches in the room and we’re in there trying to exchange ideas,” Simmons said. “The transition has been really smooth.”

New Mexico’s third-year senior cornerback Cranston Jones said Simmon’s arrival has already provided the team with an extra pair of eyes and ability to help the safeties and cornerbacks progress separately.

“We get a lot more work done and pay a lot more attention to detail,” Jones said. “Instead of having one coach trying to hit it all, you have one coach that is strictly safeties and one that is coaching corners.”

UNM looks to improve on a defense that allowed over 51 percent of its 3rd-down-conversions and nearly 519 yards per game, both the worst in the conference. Simmons said that with the majority of the offenses in the Mountain West are switching over to the spread offense, an extra defensive back in the base defense is becoming a common theme.

The Lobos will have three down lineman, three linebackers, and five defensive backs, otherwise known as the 3-3-5 or “nickel.” Most NFL teams have a nickel package defense which complements the traditional base defenses of a 3-4 or a 4-3. Generally the nickel defense is brought about solely on passing downs or if the offense brings out extra wide receivers.

Simmons said the college game is moving towards having an extra cover-man on the defensive side of the ball which has pushed New Mexico to adapt to the new defensive structure.

“Everybody’s kind of nickel base nowadays anyways,” Simmons said. “So that’s what we’re doing.”

One of the problems with having a nickel base defense is the threat of not having an extra big man in the box in order to prevent the run. However, Simmons said UNM will adapt to the run-heavy offenses but he doesn’t foresee huge holes in stopping the run with a pass-coverage scheme.

Jones said he already has grown fond of the 3-3-5. Jones said having an extra safety or cornerback is more suitable in the sound position. He said a bigger lineman or linebacker may not be able to be as versatile when being forced to cover the run and the pass.

Cutting down on the big plays will be a focal point for New Mexico in the new nickel set. UNM allowed nearly 36 points per game in 2014, a large portion coming from defensive breakdowns.

Although Jones said playing more man-to-man will help prevent some of the big plays, a significant amount of weight will be put on how well the defensive backs can handle their assignments.

“It’s still going to come down to doing your technique and doing your job,” Jones said.

Liam Cary-Eaves is the assistant sports editor for the Daily Lobo. He can be reached at assistantsports@unm.edu or on Twitter @Liam_CE.