Lobos hire Harriman as men's basketball associate head coach

In 2011, Harriman came to The Pit and got his first taste of UNM as a member of the Saint Louis University coaching staff. That night, he and the Billikens experienced a 64-60 loss in front of a capacity crowd.

“I still remember going to dinner after that loss. I couldn’t believe how impressive this place was,” Harriman said. “I still remember him (former Saint Louis head coach Rick Majerus) saying that he thought this is one of the more elite programs in the west coast and a top-25 program.”

Now Harriman, an Australian native, will be on the Lobo side of the court. On Wednesday Harriman was introduced as the new associate head coach for UNM, taking over for the departed Lamont Smith, who accepted the head coaching position at San Diego earlier this month.

Head coach Craig Neal said he tried to persuade Harriman to come to UNM last year when former Lobo coach Craig Snow left the program to become head coach at New Mexico Highlands University.

“He really fits what we do as a program and what we do as a coaching staff,” Neal said. “My biggest, hardest decision was trying to replace Lamont, who was outstanding here. My thing was trying to find the right guy who can be my right-hand guy. I think I found him.”

When asked whether he had any concerns about coming to a team that has had multiple coaching changes over the past two years, Harriman said he was not.

“When I look at this program and coach Neal’s track record, I have no concerns,” Harriman said. “No matter what program you are, there is always a rebuild phase; so for me I have no concerns whatsoever.”

Before Harriman answered, Neal said that people weren’t writing anything about coaches leaving UNM when he was an assistant coach. Neal added that one part of his job is to assist other coaches progress in their careers.

“It’s also my job to help coaches further their profession, and I think that is one reason why Chris came here,” Neal said. “I think it’s a positive turnover and I think we’ve done a lot of good things for our coaches and players here.”

Harriman comes to the Lobos after spending the last three seasons as an assistant coach at Nebraska. Prior to coaching at Nebraska, Harriman spent four seasons as an assistant coach at Saint Louis under the late Rick Majerus.

Harriman is married to his wife Cheryl. The two have one son, Avery, and two daughters, Kacee and Elsie.

One reason why Harriman chose to come to UNM is because of the facilities the University has to take care of cancer patients. Harriman’s son Avery has dealt with three bouts of leukemia during his lifetime.

“This is what was best for my family and best for me career-wise,” Harriman said. “I’m really comfortable with the medical facilities for my son.”

Still one to go

UNM still has an open assistant coaching position after former Lobo coach Drew Adams left earlier this month to take the same job at Bradley University.

Neal said he won’t name the new assistant until July 1.

Lobo banquet awards

The Lobos held their annual team banquet to celebrate the season Wednesday evening.

Senior guards Hugh Greenwood and Deshawn Delaney won the most prestigious honor: the Bob King MVP Award.

Other award winners include:

• Highest Free Throw Percentage: Hugh Greenwood
  • Highest Field Goal Percentage: Obij Aget
  • Leading Rebounder: Obij Aget
  • Most Improved Player: Devon Williams
  • Comeback Player of the Year: Devon Williams
  • 6th Man Award: Tim Jacobs
  • Academic Achievement Award: Cullen Neal
  • Most Charges Taken: Tim Jacobs
  • Lobo Award (Best all around student-athlete): Deshawn Delaney and Hugh Greenwood
  • Most Assists: Hugh Greenwood
  • Outstanding Defensive Player: Hugh Greenwood
  • Bob King MVP Award: Deshawn Delaney and Hugh Greenwood

Thomas Romero-Salas is the sports editor for the Daily Lobo. He can be reached at sports@dailylobo.com or on Twitter @ThomasRomeroS.