Letter: Video misrepresents MSA's position on ISIS, objective of event

Recent events on campus have created division. This was highlighted in the “ISIS Panel” that the Muslim Student Association held on Wednesday. Sadly, this event was misunderstood by a single student, and he presumed this was a pro-ISIS event. The MSA stands firm in saying that this event was anti-ISIS, and MSA members had made this clear throughout the panel.

In our contemporary world, we find that the Muslim identity has been taken over by ISIS and it has created an unnecessary hysteria globally, including our student body. Muslims around the world have denounced the actions of ISIS as violent acts of terrorism. The MSA confirms that the actions of ISIS are crimes against humanity. Therefore, in an effort to promote peace and sanctity, the MSA held this event to decry the events of ISIS and assure people that this is not the predominant view of Muslims, especially in our community. It is unfortunate that biases exist and we must stop them from becoming worse. We wish to do this this through promoting knowledge and education. In order to help promote this education, the MSA assured that the panel included an Islamic scholar, Shafi Abdul-Aziz.

It is unfortunate that the prejudice which exists in this world is due to a lack of education. When these voices speak in the presence of social media, they cause more harm to society than they cause good. It is our responsibility as humans and as students to promote a dialogue and the free flow of information. We live in a diverse world and hope that, at the very least, at the source of knowledge, we seek the truth and remain objective.

The MSA would like to recognize all of the support that has come from not only the University and its students, but also from those outside of it. We would like to thank all of the students for not only understanding UNM’s diversity, but also for supporting truth and justice.

The MSA can be contacted at msa@unm.edu, and we invite everyone to join our general body and board meetings.

Sincerely,

Rameez Burney

President

Muslim Student Association