Linebacker Dakota Cox (49) checks in for a play during practice on Friday afternoon at University Stadium. Cox is returning for the 2015 football season after recovering from a torn ACL.

Football: Dakota Cox ready to prove himself, team hits tackling

It’s hard to imagine that anyone would doubt Dakota Cox’s talent, but there’s been little mention of New Mexico’s best linebacker in the preseason. Cox wasn’t named in any major watch lists, nor did his name appear on the Preseason All-Mountain West Team.

The main reason Cox’s name hasn’t been appearing often is because the junior linebacker is coming off a torn left ACL. He missed the final three games of the 2014 season and still led UNM in tackles with 116.

“I would say yes, I was definitely frustrated, but it gives me something to play for,” Cox said after Sunday’s practice. “Every season you’ve got to go in with the mindset that you can be on any list that you want. That’s one thing I’m playing for, is to prove people wrong and that I’m back.”

Cox was injured last November in the fourth quarter of a 49-60 loss to Boise State. Prior to Cox’s injury, the Lobos had a chance to retake the lead, but were stopped inches short on a fourth down near midfield. If UNM had been able to get the first down, Cox might never have been injured. Cox said it’s a thought that sometimes creeps into his mind.

“That’s what it came down to,” he said. “If he (quarterback Lamar Jordan) would’ve gotten the first down, the defense wouldn’t have gone back out there. The biggest thing is how you come back from your injuries.”

It has been nine months since Cox was injured, and he said he’s close to 100 percent.

“I’m not focused on wearing it out. I’m not going to kill myself and hurt my knee again,” Cox said. “I have to be smart about it and coach some guys up and give some other guys some reps.”

Coaching change

Safeties coach Charles McMillian was promoted to defensive passing game coordinator, head coach Bob Davie announced Saturday.

McMillian is in his second year at UNM and coached both safeties and cornerbacks last year.

“It is an honor that Coach Davie would think of me in this way,” McMillian said in a statement. “My job is to help the University of New Mexico and coach Davie build a winning program. I’m blessed to have this opportunity, and I’m just here to make the Lobos better.”

Tackling drills

Davie said one of the primary focuses in preseason camp is tackling.

In Davie’s three seasons, UNM has struggled to bring opposing ball handlers to the ground. There have been numerous plays in which the Lobos’ missed tackles led to bigger plays for opposing offenses.

Davie said that during this camp, the team will tackle more often than it has the past three years.

“The number-one goal in this camp is tackling. If we don’t improve tackling, it doesn’t matter how good our chemistry is, it doesn’t matter how hungry we are,” Davie said. “If we can’t improve in tackling, none of it matters. It’s that simple.”

Sunday practice

The Lobos practiced early Sunday morning for what will probably be the last time this season.

Davie said UNM practiced on Sunday because that was just how the schedule worked out. The team practiced from 
Monday to Thursday in the morning, and had an evening practice on Friday.

“I don’t want to come back Saturday and practice,” Davie said. “It was the perfect time to give them the day off.”

Thomas Romero-Salas is the sports editor for the Daily Lobo. He can be reached at spor
ts@dailylobo.com or on Twitter 
@ThomasRomeroS.