Lobo’s Austin Apodaca prepares to send the ball downfield during their game against Tulsa Sept. 12, 2015. The Lobos play University of Wyoming this Saturday.

Football: Davie says Lobos lacking identity on offense

For the first time under head coach Bob Davie, New Mexico is having an identity crisis on offense.

With the offensive line in a state of flux since the beginning of the season, and quarterback play being passable at best, UNM hasn’t been able to establish its triple-option offense. Instead, the Lobos have tried to throw more passes than they’re comfortable with, and the results haven’t been positive.

The Lobos (1-2) will probably play both signal-callers Lamar Jordan and Austin Apodaca in their Mountain West opener at Wyoming this Saturday to see if one of them produces. UNM is a 3-point favorite over the Cowboys.

“I don’t think we’re playing our best at quarterback, and I think it starts at that,” Davie said. “I think part of that is our responsibility, too. What is our identity right now? ... It’s hard to say exactly what we are. We’re not really executing the triple option well; we’re throwing it around, were doing some little things, but were not really going to beat anybody doing that right now.”

So far this season, Jordan and Apodaca have struggled to find a rhythm. Not counting UNM’s 66-0 thumping of Mississippi Valley State, Jordan has completed just 12 of 25 passes (48 percent) for 163 yards with one touchdown and one interception. He’s also rushed for just 38 yards on 15 attempts, which is an average of 2.5 yards per attempt.

Apodaca is having an even harder time getting adjusted. After a fall camp that showcased his abilities, Apodaca has gone 16 of 37 for 183 yards and an interception in three games. Both Jordan and Apodaca said it’s hard to get into a rhythm when they’re not playing a majority of the game.

“I think we’re both doing fine; I think once we both get into a rhythm, we’ll both be good,” Apodaca said. “I think we can do better. We both had some throws that we wanted to have back and some things in the run game to have back.”

Wyoming has had a slow start this season, as well. The Cowboys are 0-3 on the year and have lost all three of their games by double digits. However, UNM and Wyoming have a history of playing close games. Four out of their last five contests have been decided by seven points or fewer, including UNM’s 36-30 win over Wyoming last year.

“It would definitely be a morale booster and a confidence booster for the rest of the season,” linebacker Dakota Cox said. “We just have to go out there and play our best and play to win, that’s the biggest thing.”

The Cowboys run a more traditional pro-style offense under head coach Craig Bohl. UNM will expect plenty of touches from running back Brian Hill, who is averaging 8.1 yards per carry this season.

“They got a great running back and they like to run the ball with Brian Hill,” Cox said. “He’s a great athlete back there, and we really just have to rally to the ball and get on him fast.”

Thomas Romero-Salas is the sports editor for the Daily Lobo. He can be reached at sports@dailylobo.com or on Twitter @ThomasRomeroS.