Orcilia Zúñiga Forbes, former UNM vice president for Student Affairs and vice president for Institutional Advancement.

​Former UNM vice president for student affairs dies

Orcilia Zúñiga Forbes, former University of New Mexico vice president for student affairs and vice president for institutional advancement, died at her home in Portland, Ore. Aug. 28, at the age of 77, according to a UNM press release.

Zúñiga Forbes's brother-in-law, Chuck Chavez, notified University officials of her death, according to the statement.

“Starting at her head and looking down, Zúñiga Forbes was always neatly coifed, perfectly made up, stylishly and professionally dressed, stockings and…running shoes. Perhaps they were the secret to her administrative career in higher education. Always on the move, literally, she knew how to balance professionalism with comfort,” according to the statement.

Forbes was born in Carlsbad. She earned a bachelor’s degree in nursing from UNM in 1960, and master’s degrees in nursing and public policy — one from the Oregon Health and Sciences University in 1966, and one from the University of California Berkeley School of Public Health in 1972, according to the press release.

“Orcilia's passing is a great loss to all her friends here in New Mexico. She was widely loved and respected. She and I took visits to alumni groups and high school counselors throughout the state, and her presence made each visit -- even when we weren't expected – warm and comfortable,” the press release quoted former UNM President Richard Peck.