​UNM goes greener

Strengthening the University of New Mexico’s commitment to sustainability, 10 energy-saving VendingMiser devices have been installed across campus from resources provided by the Green Fund.

According to the UNM Office of Sustainability Facebook page, VendingMisers are environmentally-friendly vending machines that “reduce power consumption and utility costs by up to 46 percent, while decreasing CO2 greenhouse gas emissions.”

The Office of Sustainability worked with Pepsi and UNM Facilities Engineer Hans Barsun to choose the best locations for the greatest energy savings. Units have been installed in Dane Smith Hall, Student Services, Parish Library and Mitchell Hall, according to a UNM press release.

“Timothy Backes from the Student Union Building submitted the application for the VendingMisers to the Green Fund last fall. Evaluation criteria for proposed projects include impact on carbon footprint including use of energy efficiencies or renewable energy; educating and engaging students, staff and faculty in “green” behaviors; and partnering with UNM departments or organizations to ensure successful completion of proposed projects or initiatives,” according to the statement.

The Green Fund is supported by student fees and can be used to fund projects or initiatives both educational and infrastructural to enhance the UNM campus and community. The funding is meant to encourage and foster long-term sustainability of UNM as both a physical place and as an intellectual community.

“The Green Fund was established to seek innovative ideas in environmental sustainability from the campus community and bring them to reality through a vetting process by the Green Fund Committee, which consists of students and staff,” said Mary Clark, Office of Sustainability manager. "This last year we were able to fund this project, bottled water filling stations in Dane Smith Hall, and a photovoltaic system with battery storage and LED lighting at the plaza south of Regener Hall.”