Halloween: Classic horror flicks to brave this holiday

Perhaps the most classic of Halloween traditions is kicking back in your costume and watching your favorite scary movies. Many people prefer to rent their favorite cult classics from the video store and binge-watch the cheesy horror. Others, however, may wish to experience some horror on Halloween without going to the rental store. Whether you’re a cult lover or a Netflix binger, here are some great horror film suggestions, some of which are available for streaming on Netflix.

“Day of the Dead” directed by George A. Romero

“Day of the Dead” is the third and most underappreciated film in legendary director George A. Romero’s classic “Dead” series of zombie films. Romero is largely responsible for the creation of the modern zombie mythos and “Day of the Dead” is his most introspective take on the genre that made him famous.

The film is an oddly compelling mix of silly and grotesque that wears on the sanity. There is also a delicate tone established partly thanks to the haunting synth score by John Harrison. Romero takes on some heady themes in “Day of the Dead,” the most compelling being that, fundamentally, humans are no different from zombies; the film was one of the first to explore the concept that human survivors could be more dangerous than zombies in the post-apocalyptic scenario, a very lasting concept in the genre.

“Byzantium” directed by Neil Jordan

“Byzantium” is the brilliantly poetic meditation on eternal life exemplified by the tale of two vampires, played by Gemma Arterton and Saoirse Ronan. The film is universally well acted with a strong script. The film appears relaxed and moody but is adventurously paced under the direction of Neil Jordan, who previously helmed the equally contemplative classic “Interview with the Vampire.” The vampire pair starring in “Byzantium” create a lens through which the director takes a look at our obsession with the undead and the opposing emotions of hope and regret.

“Re-Animator” directed by Stuart Gordon

Jeffrey Combs’s gleefully sardonic performance as the mad scientist Herbert West is the prime attraction of “Re-Animator.” The film, about a scientist trying to reanimate dead tissue, is a darkly funny, delightfully over-the-top mash-up of Frankenstein and zombie movie tropes. West is one of horror cinema’s classic characters: he goes around with vial of green sludge in hand, oddly unaffected by the horrors around him but never lacking a dryly witty comeback. “Re-animator” is intelligently funny while taking a creepy look at obsession and its consequences. It’s also really gross.

“Oculus” directed by Mike Flanagan

Many horror films attempt to subvert the sanity of their characters. “Oculus” does a terrific job here by using a cool flashback structure to tell the story. The film, which is about a haunted mirror that drives people insane, is well acted by Karen Gillan, Brenton Thwaites and Katee Sackhoff. But the real thrust of the film is the structure that constantly has the characters questioning their own memories. “Oculus” is a decidedly modern take on a classic ghost story that is tense and engagingly creepy.

“Trollhunter” directed by André Øvredal

This Norwegian film is a clever utilization of the often gimmicky “found footage” horror trope. “Trollhunter,” as the name implies, is about a troll hunter named Hans, played by Otto Jespersen, who is being shadowed by a group of college students trying to make a documentary film. The film’s primary schtick is how nonchalantly Hans goes about his occupation. He's not the traditional fantasy hero but rather an underpaid and overworked civil servant who goes about killing trolls with a pragmatic, modest determination. The trolls themselves are appropriately weird and menacing, but the film is at its most charming when Hans is filling out forms and going on about troll migration patterns with the deliberation of a park ranger.

“Blue Velvet” directed by David Lynch

Released in 1986, “Blue Velvet” follows the story of Jeffrey Beaumont, a college student who returns to his hometown to manage his father’s hardware store. After discovering a severed ear in a grassy field, Beaumont begins to investigate the occurrence after the local police force refuses to give Beaumont information about the case. Tthe lead detective’s daughter, Sandy, gives Beaumont the information her father wouldn’t provide, which results is Beaumont discovering a plot involving forced prostitution, kidnapping, extortion and what evil a man will commit to get what he wants.

“Blue Velvet” has remained an obscure but ageless gem in the genre of psychological horror. This film is recommended for people who like cerebral films and films that address mental insanity. This film contains graphic content and could pose psychological triggers for certain people, viewer discretion is advised.

Evil Bong” directed by Charles Band

This film is a prime example of a “Z movie.” “Evil Bong” is low budget, terribly written, and poorly acted, but still presents the quality of “so bad that it’s good.” The film tells the story of strait-laced and sober Alistair, who moves into an apartment occupied by three stoners: Larnell, Bachman, and Brett. After Larnell orders a strange bong with questionable origins, things get weird. When the pot-smoking trio is transported to a hazy, stripper-filled world after smoking from the bong, the original owner, Jimbo, played by Tommy Chong, informs Alistair of the bong’s evil nature. What ensues is Alistair’s journey to save his roommates from the evil bong.

This film isn’t to be viewed with serious intent. “Evil Bong” is easily classified as a “stoner-horror” film and isn’t as scary as it is confusing. “Evil Bong” is a film scraped from the bottom of the cult-film barrel, and its fan base comprises people who love the film because it is so terrible.

“Ju-On: The Grudge” directed by Takashi Shimizu

Unlike most cult films, “The Grudge” is by no means obscure as it received a wide theatrical release in the United States and spawned an also widely released sequel. But “The Grudge” was actually adapted from a Japanese horror film called “Ju-On: The Grudge,” the third installment of the “Ju-On” film franchise in Japan.

This movie follows a series of individuals who have been cursed by a malevolent presence. It begins in suburban Japan where Rika, a social worker, is assigned to care for Sachie, a catatonic elderly woman. While cleaning Sachie’s house, Rika encounters a black cat and a boy named Toshio. She then hears a commotion coming from Sachie’s room, where the two are soon attacked by a dark figure. After the attack, the spirits target Sachie’s family and those who investigate the incident.

“Ju-On: The Grudge” has a wide fan base in Japan and captured the interest of movie lovers in the United States. “Ju-On: The Grudge” is good for viewers who like supernatural horror and thrillers.

“John Dies at the End” directed by Don Coscarelli

This is a mind-bending, hilarious and often unsettling movie. John and Dave are two college dropouts who come in contact with “soy sauce,” a new street drug that takes its users across dimensions who then bring back creatures that don’t belong in this world. John and Dave decide to get to the bottom of the situation, which leads them to discovering alternative timelines and the biomechanical ruler of another earth.

This film is good for viewers who enjoy complex plots, science fiction, horror, and dark comedy. The film contains graphic violence and nudity. Viewer discretion is advised.

Nathan Reynolds is a culture reporter for the Daily Lobo. He can be reached at culture@dailylobo.com or on Twitter @DailyLobo.

Fin Martinez is a news reporter for the Daily Lobo. He can be reached at news@dailylobo.com or on Twitter @FinMartinez