​UNM honored for diversity in education

The University of New Mexico received the 2015 Higher Education Excellence in Diversity Award from INSIGHT Into Diversity magazine, the “oldest and largest diversity-focused publication in higher education,” according to a University statement. In the November issue of the publication, UNM will be featured with 91 other participants being honored for the award.

The HEED award is the only such honor recognizing colleges and universities for outstanding diversity and inclusion efforts across their campuses, according to UNM.

UNM was selected by INSIGHT for its dedication to recruiting historically underrepresented and first-generation minority students, as well as having resource centers for various ethnicities represented by the University’s diverse student body, according to the statement.

“UNM is one of the most diverse campuses in the country and we work hard to make sure all of our students are given great opportunities for success and feel valued as members of our Lobo community,” UNM President Bob Frank said in the statement. “It’s an honor to see those efforts recognized by the HEED award.”

EngagingLatino Communities for Education works with mentoring high school students and working with families to complete FAFSA forms that are from high schools in traditionally underrepresented groups also while assisting with deferred action/immigration issues, according to the release.

“We are thrilled to be recognized by Insight into Diversity for this honor and our commitment to diversity remains strong,” said Jozi De Leon, vice president for Equity and Inclusion,in the statement. “We understand the importance of continuing the work of creating inclusive excellence where faculty, staff and students are successful and contribute to the success of the university. We are better through our diversity.”

According to the UNM release, “UNM is currently one of four Universities that hold the designation of Hispanic Serving Institutions (HSI) & Research Universities-Very High Research Activity (RU/VH). Diverse Issues in Higher Education ranked UNM the top American Indian degree producer and one of the 30 best colleges for the LGBTQ community.”

Lenore Pearlstein, publisher of INSIGHT Into Diversity, said in the statement that the process of awarding honorees of the HEED aware is a rigorous and comprehensive process.

“We take a holistic approach to reviewing each application in deciding who will be named a HEED Award recipient. Our standards are high, and we look for institutions where diversity and inclusion are woven into the work being accomplished every day across a campus,” Pearlstein said in the release.