Physics and Astronomy hosts annual open house

Last Wednesday UNM’s Department of Physics & Astronomy hosted more than a hundred local high school students along with their parents and teachers, according to a UNM release.

Mousumi Roy, an associate professor in the department as well as an event organizer, said the department cares about the community, and it shows through events like last Wednesday’s.

“We want to engender a love of science in the students within Albuquerque and the area high schools. That’s our goal,” Roy said in the release.

According to the release, the department invited students from across the Albuquerque area to campus in order to teach them about physics and astronomy and about what they could do with such a degree in the future. 

Students in attendance took part in lab tours, demonstrations, and were given the chance to hear from scientists about the research they’re currently working on.

“The main thing is we want to excite high school students to think about science, to think about doing physics,” Roy said in the release. “We have some really cool and exciting research happening, and so we want them to think about majoring in physics and coming to UNM and working with us in our labs.”

The release stated that a few times a year the department invites high school students to UNM for physics demonstrations. Organizers of the event say this is another way for them to reach out to the community and get students excited about the subjects of science and technology.