UNM-Los Alamos Scholarship Fund receives boost

According to a UNM news release, UNM’s Los Alamos branch received a $1,000 donation from the New Mexico Chapter of Energy, Technology and Environmental Business Association’s scholarship program, or ETEBA.

ETEBA is a nonprofit trade association that represents numerous companies that provide environmental, technology, energy, engineering, construction and related services to government and commercial clients.

According to the release, ETEBA representative Myron Koop presented the check to UNM-LA Interim Executive Director Cindy Rooney, who accepted the check on behalf of the UNM-LA Scholarship Fund.

“We are very grateful to Mr. Koop and ETEBA-NM for their donation to the UNM-LA Scholarship Fund,” Rooney said in the release. “His visit to campus also provided an opportunity for Helen Milenski, the most recent recipient of the scholarship, to meet with him and to thank him personally.” 

Milenski said in the release she is thankful for the scholarship and that it made a positive impact on her college career by helping her pay for books and tuition. 

To be eligible for the scholarship, students must be working toward a degree in either Applied Technology, Environmental Science, Computer Science, Technology or Pre-Engineering, according to the statement. In addition, they must be a full-time student with a minimum GPA of 2.5. 

Matthew Reisen is a staff reporter for the Daily Lobo. He can be reached at news@dailylobo.com or on Twitter @DailyLobo.