UNM graduate assistant is recognized

UNM graduate assistant Sarah Wilkinson was recently awarded a New Mexican humanitarian award, according to a UNM release. Wilkinson has a bachelor’s degree in Cultural Anthropology from the University of Illinois and is a professor in the UNM’s Peace and Justice Studies program.

The award was created in 2008 and was started by the Jewish Community Center of Greater Albuquerque. It recognizes “people who have embodied an outstanding spirit of humanity in a local, national, or international capacity,” according to the release.

Wilkinson was the founder of Global One to One, a nonprofit organization that promotes cross-cultural understanding among students worldwide. According to the release, around 14,000 students across 25 countries have participated in her startup that began eight years ago.

“Wilkinson’s vision throughout this nearly decade-long effort has been to build a network of people who better understand each other and who can therefore better solve global issues together,” the release stated.

David Simon, the executive director of the JCC, had good things to say about the recipients of the award.

“From affordable housing advocates to entrepreneurial job creators to global advocates for cross-cultural understanding, this is a fantastic group of New Mexicans who deserve our recognition and thanks,” Simon said in the release. “They have made New Mexico, and the world, a better place through their humanitarian efforts.”

Matthew Narvaiz is a staff reporter for the Daily Lobo. He can be reached at news@dailylobo.com or on Twitter @RealMattNarvaiz