Senator Martin Heinrich shakes hands with Stephen Bailey after presenting him with a purple heart. The ceremony took place in the Roberts in Scholes Hall on Dec. 4, 2015.

Veteran receives medals earned in Vietnam

On Dec. 4 at UNM, Sen. Martin Heinrich, D-N.M., presented Vietnam War veteran Stephen Bailey with nine medals – including the distinguished Purple Heart – for his military service in the Vietnam War. 

Bailey, 68, served in the 99th Ordnance Disposal unit in 1969. After 46 years Bailey has received his medals.

“I never thought about it most of my life,” Bailey said. “When they finally said I was going to get them, I was happy about it … it’s sort of closure to me.”

Bailey was prompted by his wife to request his medals when they were filing their taxes at Los Lunas High School.

“The senator had a desk there with forms asking if there was anything they could do,” Bailey said, “(My wife) Kathy said, ‘Why don’t you see if you can get your old medals?’ ... I got orders that say I got them, so I wrote in a request and here I am.”

Bailey sent in his request for his medals in February 2014 and was presented with them last week by Heinrich, who said it was his first time presenting this many medals to a veteran.

“I’ve never come across a case quite like this, it’s quite a story.” Heinrich said, “Obviously this is something that should have happened a long time ago, but to be in a position to say ‘thank-you’ on behalf of the country is the best part of my job.”

The nine medals Bailey was awarded were the Expert Badge for marksmanship, the Air Medal, the National Defense Service, the Vietnam Service Medal, the Republic of Vietnam Campaign Ribbon, the Army Commendation Medal, the Good Conduct Medal, the Bronze Star, and a Purple Heart medal.

“I was helping clean up a landing zone in Bu Dop and there was a depot there, and they blew it up,” Bailey said. “I was there still trying to clean up some of the mess, and they were still shooting and I got in the way.”

Bailey was shot in the shoulder, back and arm, which he said resulted in the temporary loss of movement in his hand. His wounds were caused by a single bullet.

“It was a 75 recoilless, so it was one (bullet), but it was a big one,” Bailey said.

At the ceremony, Heinrich said that Bailey was shot seven months into his service on Thanksgiving Day and was hospitalized for three months. He was discharged shortly after.

“Undeterred by that experience and wanting to continue serving his country, (Bailey) reenlisted in the army and continued serving for nine more years,” Heinrich said.

Heinrich said that during Bailey’s second deployment he was stationed in Germany and the U.S., where he worked alongside the Secret Service in advance clearing of venues for U.S. presidents Richard Nixon, Gerald Ford and Jimmy Carter.

“Stephen Bailey deserves recognition for the sacrifices that he made; he deserves the medals that he earned,” Heinrich said. “Most of all, he deserves our utmost respect and appreciation for his service to our country.”

Fin Martinez is a reporter for the Daily Lobo. He can be reached at news@dailylobo.com or on Twitter @FinMartinez.