Redshirt junior forward Tim Williams breaks past a Wyoming players hold on his way to the net Saturday, Jan. 16, 205 at WisePies Arena. The Lobos beat San Jose State this past Saturday and will play Air Force this Wednesday at WisePies Arena. 

Men's basketball: Lobos face tough task in Air Force's Princeton offense

Preparing for Air Force’s rendition of the Princeton offense is among the toughest challenges New Mexico faces each year, according to coach Craig Neal.

The Princeton style, dictated by constant movement on the floor, backdoor cuts and sound team discipline, means the Lobos’ Wednesday night contest should not be overlooked, even though the Falcons enter the game with just one Mountain West victory.

Neal said he stressed that aspect to his players. He and his coaching staff devoted some time during Monday’s practice to working on drills to combat the offense.

“I told the guys it's the hardest mental game they're ever going to have from a possession standpoint, a tempo standpoint and then also guarding,” Neal said.

A year ago UNM lost the latter two of three meetings against the Falcons, including the first round in the Mountain West tournament. In the two setbacks, the Lobos struggled in scoring points both in the paint and from outside.

The Lobos (11-8, 4-2 MW) are better in both categories this year. They are making 51.7 percent of their 2-point field goals and 36.5 from beyond the arc, compared to 48.6 on 2-point baskets and 30.8 on triples.

KenPom.com’s analytics also show an increase in UNM’s adjusted offensive efficiency as well, from 98.5 to 105.2. In more laymen’s terms, the Lobos ranked 247th nationally in KenPom’s offensive efficiency in 2014-15 but are 141st this season.

The offense on Wednesday will contend against an Air Force squad that runs a matchup zone defense, but Neal said these Lobos seem better equipped to deal with this scheme. Simply put, he said, UNM must make shots.

“You have to score it and you have to guard them a little bit, don't give them anything easy,” he said. “The biggest thing is you have to make some jump shots and you have to have a low post threat on them. I think we've got that now.”

The Falcons (10-10, 1-6 MW), who recently fell to Fresno State 56-55 on Saturday, do return Hayden Graham, Zach Kocur and Trevor Lyons. Graham and Lyons bring the most points with 14.9 and 13.6 points per game, respectively. Graham and Kocur, meanwhile, are Air Force’s top two rebounders at 6.5 and 5.4 per game, respectively.

As a team, Air Force scores 68.9 points per game while it gives up 71.6.

Cullen Neal’s status

Prior to Monday’s practice, Craig Neal said he would receive word after practice whether starting point guard Cullen Neal would be cleared to return to action. Cullen Neal missed Saturday’s win at San Jose State with a concussion.

The team doctors will ultimately make the decision, the coach said. Monday marked the ninth day since Cullen Neal suffered the concussion on the last play against Wyoming. He did not go through contact drills.

As long as he clears the University’s concussion protocol, Cullen Neal’s participation Wednesday is a possibility, Craig Neal said.

Replacement’s efforts

Cullen Neal’s absence means other Lobos have seen more playing time. Freshman guard Jordan Hunter earned his first start as a Lobo his stead, splitting time with senior Tim Jacobs.

Should Cullen Neal not be able to play against the Falcons, Craig Neal reiterated he has no reservations with putting either of the substitute point guards on the floor.

“To be honest with you, I have no choice. Yeah, I feel good,” the coach said. “I like my guys. I'm not really worried about it. If he can't play I'm good with what we have. If he can play, then we're good.”

Freshman guard Dane Kuiper put forth his strongest contribution Saturday against SJSU since joining the team, setting career highs in points (11), rebounds (four) and assists (four). His 28 minutes on the court were also the most time he’s seen in a single game.

Craig Neal has said in past press conferences he wanted to see Kuiper contribute more in games, and on Monday Neal said the game appears to be slowing down for the freshman.

“I think it was a little fast and I think he had a lot of things going on, and it's new,” Craig Neal said. “I think every freshmen comes in thinking they're going to be world-beaters -- and you want them to think that -- but I don't think it's as easy as everyone thinks it is.”

J.R. Oppenheim is the assistant sports editor for the Daily Lobo. He primarily covers men’s basketball and women’s soccer. Contact him at assistantsports@dailylobo.com or on Twitter @JROppenheim.