Graham Unverzagt and Ethan Branch talked to students about the UNM beekeeping club during the welcome back days Wed. 27, 2016 in the SUB Atrium. An aspect of Welcome Back Days is to get the student population familiarized with university clubs.

Welcome Back Days show what UNM has to offer

Welcome Back Days at UNM are a way for students, both new and returning, to learn about all UNM has to offer. For the occasion, the Student Union Building Atrium was filled with bright booths, signs and students lured by free drinks and curiosity.

Ryan Lindquist, associate director for the Student Activities Center, said that the event takes place on two different days, Jan. 20 and 27.

The first day was centered around Greek life and departments, Lindquist said. It was directed towards the entire UNM community (faculty, staff and students), letting everyone know what department resources are on campus and giving students the opportunity to learn about Greek life.

The second day was “Student Organization Welcome Back Day,” targeted towards getting students involved in the student organization community here at UNM.

“We have over 450 student organizations that give great opportunities to be engaged in our community,” said Lindquist. “It’s a good opportunity for students to talk to multiple groups at one time rather than having to pick up the phone and call asking when a meeting will be held.”

Anna Trillo, student affairs specialist and Phi Eta Sigma advisor, was in charge of the National Honor Society booth participating in this spring’s Welcome Back Days.

Trillo said that UNM’s Welcome Back Days “put organizations right in front of the students giving them a chance to see all the different options they have on campus.”

Co-coordinator for LoboRESPECT Jacqueline Eckman agreed with Trillo and said it’s a great way for students to get connected.

“While being out here, people are coming up to us who are really interested in hearing what we have to say, asking what we do for our campus and how they can be involved,” she said.

Lindquist said that organizations enhance the college experience in many ways, whether it’s providing students with a hands-on experience they may not have access to in the classroom, or providing opportunities to get involved with athletics or social life

“It’s a great way to stay involved,” said Lindquist. “There are facts and figures that prove that students that are involved on campus

graduate sooner with a higher GPA and wind up with better jobs, so those things enhance what employers are looking for these days.”

Lindquist hopes that students walked out of Welcome Back Days with the tools they need to make college as engaging as possible.

"(They will have) valuable information that will enhance their college experience... opportunities to get involved in organizations that are either socially based, sport based, faith based or academically based, that will help them have a well rounded college experience.”

Denicia Aragon is a staff reporter for the Daily Lobo. She can be reached at news@dailylobo.com or on Twitter @dailylobo.