Monday on the Street: Is UNM a safe campus?

Do you think UNM is a safe campus in terms of violence and, if not, what could be done to make it safer?

Gavin Mcguire, junior, mechanical enginering

“I think it’s a safe campus. I don’t know if I see security guards wherever I go, not enough people who would be willing to step in if action needed to be taken. There’s a lot of those blue pillars; it would be helpful if there were more of those, more security guards. I know people feel unsafe during night classes.”

Abdulrhman Shikh, sophomore, computer engineering

“I think it's a safe campus. More security guards maybe, but I think that would be it.”

Emily Hood, freshman, secondary Education

“I think UNM is a pretty safe campus, I live on campus and I never have any problems as far as violence goes. Especially not gun violence, so I think it’s a pretty safe campus. Even when I’m walking at night, there are those emergency things (blue pillars) and I see security guards, so I feel pretty safe on campus.”

Kimberly Perez, sophomore, business

“I feel like it could be safer, just because there’s not a lot of lighting at night. Yes, I understand that there’s the emergency things (blue pillars) and they’re relatively close to each other, but, since it is an open campus, I feel like anyone can just come on here. I receive a lot of notifications of things that happen, especially in the afternoon. I feel like if it was a little more well-lit or security was not just patrolling the perimeter of UNM, but a little more in the campus, it would be safer.”

Matthew Reisen is the news editor for the Daily Lobo. He can be reached at news@dailylobo.com or on Twitter @dailylobo.