Monday on the Street: How will the $157 tuition hike affect you?

How will the $157 tuition hike affect you?

D.J. Rupp, junior, journalism

"Compared to the school I attended last semester, two hundred dollars is not that much of an increase so it won't affect me as much." 

Isaac Seslar, sophomore, mechanical engineering

"It's tough already paying for college and last summer it was difficult to find a job to pay for out of state tuition . Plus, (the University) pays for senseless thing, coaching staff, the food is high, I think they are just blowing their money away and the students are paying for it."

Daniel Depaolis, senior, criminology

"I'm graduating so I got lucky and missed this increase, but it will be affecting a lot of people that I know. I think the issue is not a lack of funding, I think it is where they are putting the money they are getting. There is no reason why tuition should be so expensive. If they can figure out where to trim the fat, as in administration, rather than having all the funding coming from students. " 

Emily Trujillo, psychology, junior

"I'm not enthusiastic about the increase, of course. My parents pay my tuition right now, so the increase will hit me in the long run, and if they aren't able to pay for it all I will have to get a job and help out." 

Joe DeBlasse, business, senior

"I pay for my own tuition so it will affect me a little bit, but typically, tuition raises every year so its just to be expected." 

Ryanne Wallencheck, business, senior 

"I am on the Lottery scholarship so it doesn't affect me as much, but it does happen every year, so it's something that we have to deal with regardless what it is. It's not that big of an increase. I have seen worse." 

Denicia Aragon is a staff reporter for the Daily Lobo. She can be reached at news@dailylobo.com or on Twitter @DailyLobo