ASUNM Sen. Justin Cooper (left) and President Jenna Hagengruber (right) listen to Chief of Staff Tori Pryor as she speaks during the town hall as part of ASUNM’s first ever State of ASUNM Address. The address and town hall touched on the lottery scholarships, ongoing safety initiatives and how better to engage the student body.

State of ASUNM address engages students with their government

The Associated Students of UNM held its first ever State of ASUNM address on Friday, allowing ASUNM President Jenna Hagengruber to give an update on issues involving the student government and the University as a whole.

ASUNM Sen. Gabe Gallegos said ASUNM wanted to host an event where they could inform attendees of pressing issues that impact them.

“We wanted to provide students the opportunity to hear from ASUNM President Jenna Hagengruber about issues such as the Lottery scholarship, capital outlay improvements and the recent tuition increase," he said.

Following the 35-minute address, a town hall meeting was held where the students were given the opportunity to ask questions to ASUNM representatives.

ASUNM wanted to give students an opportunity to get direct answers to the questions they have from those who represent them, Gallegos said.

Students inquired about a variety of topics, such as ASUNM scholarships, how ASUNM plans to have more students involved in student government and recent resolutions that were presented over the last two semesters.

One students asked a question directly pertaining to ASUNM's recent failing of a pro-stun gun resolution, asking how ASUNM expects to keep students safer with the ongoing initiative to improve lighting alone.

In response, Hagengruber said clarity is needed from multiple parties on what is and isn't allowed on campus.

"Lighting isn't the only initiative we are taking. I think the (weapons) policy in general needs to be looked at for this day in age of students," she said. "I think one of the reasons people are reluctant to push that is the idea of the policy needs a lot of work. That whole process is a lot bigger than just passing a resolution through ASUNM because we need to look at the entire policy."

Gallegos said one incentive for holding an address like Friday's is allowing the student government to show constituents what their leaders are doing to make their UNM experience better.

"We thought it would be an exciting way to bring in the students we serve to get a glimpse of all the work ASUNM is doing on behalf of them,” he said. “On a personal level, I am always inspired by the idea of legislators going back to their districts and telling their constituents of the work they are doing. We wanted to replicate this on a campus level."

Gallegos said he hopes the address will become a regular, annual event to inform students what ASUNM is doing with the most current initiatives.

He said ASUNM received great feedback after Friday's event about improvements that ASUNM can make. Gallegos said he hopes this can become a well-known event that ASUNM does every year.

"It is critical for ASUNM to continue to find ways to keep the student body informed of issues that matter to them," he said.

For anyone that was unable to attend the State of ASUNM address, ASUNM will soon post video of the address on their social media sites, including Facebook.

Denicia Aragon is a staff reporter for the Daily Lobo. She can be reached at news@dailylobo.com or on Twitter @DailyLobo.