Softball: Lobos drop conference opener

New Mexico’s Softball team opened up Mountain West play Thursday night, as the team hosted Utah State in a 7-4 loss.

The Aggies opened up the scoreboard in the top of the 1st inning, scoring 2 runs off 4 hits and giving Lobos starting pitcher, Colette Robert trouble early on.

The Lobos quickly responded in the bottom of the 1st, as leadoff hitter Cheyenne Smith walked and advanced to 2nd on a wild pitch.. Mariah Rimmer, was able to bring Smith home on a single to put the Lobos on the board. Jasmine Casados followed on a 3-2 count hitting a two run shot to leftfield, her 3rd homerun of the season, putting the Lobos up 3-2.

In the bottom of the 4th with 1 out, Chelsea Johnson hit her first homer of the year, a solo shot deep to right center field to extend the Lobos lead 4-2.

Things would change quickly for the Lobos, however, as the Aggies hit not three doubles in the fifth.

With two outs and a runner on second, Utah State hit a 2 run homerun to propel the Aggies to a 7-4 lead

Down to their last out, D’Andra DeFlora grounded out as the tying run as UNM couldn’t rally past Utah State in the opening game of the series.

New Mexico had 5 hits with 1 error and starting pitcher Colette Robert went 4.2 innings allowing 6 runs off 9 hits with 1 strikeout. The Lobos fell to 15-12 on the season, but will look to even things up on Friday at 6 p.m.

Wally Gallart is a sports reporter for the Daily Lobo. He covers softball. He can be reached at sports@dailylobo.com or on twitter @wallyagallart.