Softball: Offense struggles as UNM shutout

After Friday’s 5-1 loss to Nevada, New Mexico looked to bounce back on Saturday afternoon in Reno and even their weekend series with the Wolf Pack.

However, the narrative remained the same as the Lobos were shut-out 4-0, falling to 17-14 on the season (2-3 MW).

Sophomore right-hand pitcher Krissy Fortner received the nod Saturday, just one game removed from her complete game shut-out start against Utah State on March 26. In her third start of the season, Fortner (3-2) all six innings, allowing seven hits, four earned runs, a walk and one strikeout.

New Mexico’s offense continued to struggle on Saturday as it was only able to muster four hits and a walk, leaving five runners on base. Nevada (24-7,5-2 MW) pitcher McKenna Isenberg dominated the Lobos’ lineup, striking out four batters and going all seven innings.

The four hits for New Mexico were scattered through the game, and limited to all singles, two of which were off the bat of freshman outfielder Brooke Breland. 

The Lobos went 0-3 with runners in scoring position in the process, including a crucial missed opportunity in the sixth when the Lobos left two runners on, with the go ahead run at the plate.

A pitching duel between Fortner and Isenberg helped the game stay scoreless until the fourth inning. In the bottom half of the fourth, Nevada first baseman Jennifer Purcell hit a two-run shot to break the tie and give the Wolf Pack a 2-0 lead.

Then, two innings later, Purcell hit another two-run home run doubling the Wolf Pack's lead to 4-0 and putting the game out of reach for the Lobos.

The Lobos will look to avoid the sweep Sunday, as they’ll take on the Wolf Pack at 1 p.m. MT.

Wally Gallart is a sports reporter for the Daily Lobo. He can be reached at sports@dailylobo.com or on Twitter @DailyLoboSports.