Men's Golf: Regional tourney possibly favoring UNM

Lobos will play on home championship course for a chance to compete at National Championship

New Mexico may have a serious advantage coming into the NCAA Men’s Regional Championship this weekend – the Lobos are playing on a course they’ve practiced at hundreds of times.

The UNM men’s golf team will be competing in the Men’s Regional Championship this week at UNM South Championship Course May 16-18. This course is one of six locations that will be hosting the tournament.

UNM is one of three Mountain West Conference teams that qualified for the tournament. The Lobos finished the regular season in second place behind No. 23 San Diego State while posting two overall wins.

They will enter the regional tournament as the seven seed and look to defend their home course. The Lobos have had great success at UNM South, winning the annual William H. Tucker Intercollegiate each of the last four years. This year they posted a record setting 19-stroke victory over the field.

The Lobos look to advance to the National Championship finals which will be held in Eugene, Oregon on May 27 through June 1 at Eugene Country Club.

UNM players to watch out for are So. Gustavo Morantes and Jr. Andrej Bevins. They both were named to the all-MW conference team.

First tee is set for Monday morning.

Nathaniel Taglialegami is a sports reporter for the Daily Lobo. He can be reached at sports@dailylobo.com or on Twitter @NateTag21.