Senior outfielder Mariah Rimmer throws the ball to second base to out a San Diego State player Friday May 6, 2016. The Lobos lost to the Aztecs 2-1 Saturday afternoon in their second of three games. 

Softball: Lobos fall 2-1 to drop the series

UNM’s pitching improved drastically from Friday night, but the offense failed to come through as the Lobos fell 2-1 to San Diego State.

UNM has now dropped four straight, including nine straight at home. The Lobos are now 22-24 (7-12 MW) on the season.

“We played great defense and our pitching was outstanding today. We out hit them; we out played them on defense, and pitched better,” head coach Erica Beach said. “I think we should have won that game.”

Senior centerfielder Mariah Rimmer got things going for the Lobos offense in the first inning, hitting a single with two outs. Then moment’s later, junior catcher

Jasmine Casados hit a stand-up double bringing in Rimmer to give UNM a 1-0 lead.

San Diego State’s Zaria Meshack hit an RBI single to tie the game at one apiece in the top half of the third inning. Leia Ruiz brought Meschack in the go-ahead run off a sacrifice fly giving the Aztecs a 2-1 lead after three.

The Lobos offense struggled to bring home runners in scoring position, leaving two runners on in the fourth and the sixth inning. Despite their struggles offensively to core runs, the Lobos out-hit SDSU 6-4.

“Watching what happened yesterday really fueled my fire today,” said freshman starting pitcher Colette Robert.

Robert (8-8) went all seven innings allowing just four hits, two earned runs, and a strikeout. She retired the side in the final four innings.

“She got those girls to ground out on the drop balls inside and she really let our defense work. She did a great job of trusting her defense, and changing speeds on her pitches,” Beach said.

After allowing 23 runs on Friday, the Lobos made an emphasis to improve their defensive play.

“I’m really proud of their toughness and how we recovered from yesterday, we wanted to forget about that game as quickly as possible,” said Beach “I’m proud of them for playing a really good game.”

The Lobos will look to avoid their third consecutive sweep at home on Sunday at noon; Sunday’s game will be New Mexico last home game of the season.

Wally Gallart is a sports reporter for the Daily Lobo. He can be reached at sports@dailylobo.com or on Twitter @wallyagallart.