Profile: Queerness can transform the world

Editor's Note: At the request of the interviewee, this story adheres to the Daily Lobo policy for non-gender-specific pronouns. For more information, click here

Benjamin Abbott is a graduate student, anarchist revolutionary on the streets, science fiction author and genderqueer transhumanist visionary. 

Ze majored in creative writing and history with a minor in zoology at North Carolina State University and has a master's in history from UNM.

Abbott identifies with queer anarchism specifically and queer radicalism more broadly and has mixed feelings about the mainstream LGBTQ movement, ze said.

Queer radicalism seeks to transform existing society, from norms around gender and sexuality to the economy to political organization, Abbott said. The mainstream movement lobbies for inclusion within the status quo. 

The reforms the mainstream LGBTQ movement pushes for are usually better than nothing, ze said, but the process of reform and inclusion typically means investment in dominant systems

Last week's Pride Candlelight Vigil provides one example of this.

“I came to the vigil with the Trans March. Soon after I arrived, the U.S. Pledge of Allegiance started, followed by the National Anthem. I shouted my opposition to U.S. nationalism and to the United States as a political entity. Three people from the vigil confronted me. Two of these people assaulted me and threatened to beat me up,” ze said.

Abbott confirmed that Tony Carson, a director of Albuquerque Pride, was one of the people who confronted and threatened zim at the vigil. Abbott later spoke with Carson and Pride President Neil Macernie over the phone about the incident and claims that Carson denied ever making threats to Abbott. 

“Tony didn't admit to the threats, though I know he made them," Abbott said. “Tony says he didn't touch me; I'm not sure about that. We're on the same page that he grabbed the sign I was holding, we struggled over it, and he pulled the sign off its handle. That incident is an example of the profound political tensions within the LGBTQ movement.”  

Abbott said ze has also seen a noticeable difference in the workplace for the LGBTQ community.   

While plenty of folks still say openly homophobic and transphobic things in various contexts, doing this has become frowned on in formal university settings and in many workplaces, Abbott said. The movement has notably promoted basic tolerance of LGBTQ people in workplaces and universities over the last few decades.

With the progress that has been made by the movement there’s more to be done and more that can change; not just in the workplace, but everywhere for the LGBTQ community, ze said.

The LGBTQ movement should embrace the vision of transforming society, Abbott said. 

“Including established LGBTQ identities into the existing system isn't enough, the whole idea of straightness, of a normal mode of gender and sexuality, needs to go," ze said. “We should likewise abolish other norms and systems of power.”

Abbott wants the LGBTQ movement to be a vibrant force for freedom and social justice.

“I suspect and hope it's heading in that direction. All struggles for social justice intersect. The fight against racism is an LGBTQ issue. Immigration is an LGBTQ issue. Colonialism and decolonization are LGBTQ issues. Abolishing capitalism is an LGBTQ issue, etc. Let's keep pushing,” ze said.

Abbott said the public should understand the political differences within the LGBTQ movement.

“I encourage folks to dream beyond the reformist programs of the mainstream movement. Queerness can and should change the world,” ze said.

Denicia Aragon is a staff reporter for the Daily Lobo. She can be contacted at news@dailylobo.com on Twitter @DailyLobo.